Chinese-Forums

Chinese Americans in American film

shobson1

All that Hollywood stuff, wasn't really attacking at you, I think it was targeting at me, but thanx for responding to that comment.

I'm assuming you are refering to yourself as a native of Asia? Trust me, it affects all of us. People don't do a very good job of telling us apart.

I think the most hilarious incident was when I was in a kitchen goods store and I was asking this guy about pots and what sauce pans were (as opposed to just pots) and what a dutch oven is used for. Perhaps those are just "american" things, I dunno. But he proceded to tell me about an "American dish" called....

Chili. "It has beans and tomatoes and meat..."

DrinkDrank, your advoacy of self-reliance and individualism is worthwhile. I mostly agree with you, but I do think you're overlooking some of the social problems facing most Asian Americans (though maybe not yourself). Your comment about Asian Americans benefiting from the karate/kung fu stereotype suggests that you haven't looked at the problem seriously -- granted that you may be just joking. What kaox and I would like to see is that Asians be portray as just "normal" by the media, with the good qualities and bad qualities that normal people have. Why can't Asian Americans be portrayed as funny on their own, instead of being used for stereotypical "comic relief" roles? Ever heard of "Amos 'n Andy"? There's a difference between making a joke and being the butt of a joke.

6. What are your feelings on the stereotype of karate on Chinese Americans in Visual Media?

Why this is considered a negative stereotype is beyond me. I think in this day and age everyone knows that the stereotype is not true; this stereotype, like numerous others, exist for the sole purpose of providing comic relief. Plus, I, as a first-degree whitebelt dropout, actually benefit from this.

Umm, I hate to be picky and pessamistic(I know I spelled it wrong) but would you mind leaving your first name and last initial kaox?? I want to use your answers to the questions, and when I use your interview quote as a lead in the name "koax" seems kind of awkward. If you want you can just use leave me your initials..or even a pen-name if you want. Just something that sounds human if you will :) It's not required but it would help :) Thanks

For the record, my response was targeted at neither kaox0018 nor mind-wander. Perhaps my tone was a bit hostile and I apologize. Your thoughtful responses are refreshing.

Ferno, as kaox0018 stated, 'cultural baggage' implies unwillingness of minorities to adapt to the predominant culture and thus carries(pun!) an unfavorable connotation with the majority. It is essential for identity and familiarity though. You make an interesting observation regarding the "equalization" of various cultures to become the American culture; I can visualize a wedge of cheesy Asian American culture dissolving into the great melting pot that is American culture.

Mind_wander, I am a little lost on your train of thought. Are you saying that there exists a social hurdle between Asians and non-Asians and that non-Asians utilize stereotypes as an excuse to not converse with Asians? Thanks in advance for your clarification. I also believe the anti-U.S. clip that you've linked is actually mocking China, not the U.S. A very bad one at that.

kaox0018, you had some valid observations but Steve Park's critique of American culture reeked of self-pity, and I apologize if I did not distinguish your opinions from Steve Parks'(who I shall henceforth nickname theemowhinyenamoredwithhisactingskillsasian) enough.

Frankly, I can't answer the question why there aren't more Asians in media, but perhaps we are more racially conscious in singling out Asians in media which in essence makes ourselves not entirely objective. I mean do we really need to tally-mark every Asian actor/actress that's been in American media and expect him/her to succeed? Are we obsessed with micromanaging our racial exposure/equality that we disregard comparing ability and talent across the board?

It is possible that there are more Asians in theatre/performing arts than in mass media. What does that convey about Asian Americans in general?

What about roles in which only Asians are more stereotypically favorable? Like a math teacher or an ER doctor. Aren't Caucasians or Blacks at a disadvantage then, especially since currently American media is obsessed with diversity? Obviously I'm stating universal generalizations to get my point across.

Like you've stated, nothing is one-sided or a one-way street.

Ironically, directors rely on stereotypes to cast actors/actresses for fitting roles so in order for Asians to be portrayed in a more ordinary and positive light, Asian Americans need to be more mundane and 'Americanized'. So essentially, you must fight stereotypes with stereotypes.

Also, please do not clump all Caucasians together and assign them as the basis for American culture. You'd be surprised how diverse the Caucasian population is, which leads me to another rant:

This is not directed towards anyone specifically, but why are so many Asian Americans offended when non-Asians mistaken them for a different ancestory? The "OMG I'm not Korean I'm Chinese" complete with the offensive glare. I sure as hell can't distinguish a German from a Swede, a Jamaican from a South African, an Arabian from an Indian, let alone mutts(which consist of >90% of Caucasians), and I don't expect anyone else to. Non-Asians are not being ignorant; we, like them, just simply all look alike. /rant

I share kaox0018's frustration when I'm expected to not understand 'Americana' (i.e. chili). Once on a flight I met a kind old man who patiently shared with me the rules/regulations for our favorite American pastime: baseball. Didn't have the heart to tell him that I had seven years of minor/junior league under my belt...

Gato, thank you. Perhaps we all differ in our levels of humor and sensitivity toward racial prejudices. Should I really approach the kungfu stereotype seriously? Asian American/African American/Mexican American/etc. comedians rely on stereotypes for their material. Yeah laughing about ordinary life circumstances can be funny, but not as funny as when someone fits a stereotype. Stereotypes are funny because the audience is very well aware that they are fictional, thus when one minority figure happens to fit with a stereotype, comedy ensues. I think it is wrong to associate stereotypes with ignorance. In fact, stereotyping is a very essential social mechanism. I also believe 'normal' is the antithesis of Hollywood/news. I understand your concern for being the joke rather than the delivery, but I have no advice other than to lighten up. Life's too short to be taken seriously. :mrgreen:

All I'm really trying to say is that sometimes we make race a bigger issue than what it really is. I despise nothing more than to hear someone say, "it's because I'm right?!!"

I hope that I've responded with the same professional caliber that you all have shown me.

Have a good one.

Apparently I write novels :roll: so sit down, grab a cold one, and enjoy.

For some reason I can't edit my post above. It should be mutts(which >90% of Caucasians consist of). Funny how word order changes everything.

"Mind_wander, I am a little lost on your train of thought. Are you saying that there exists a social hurdle between Asians and non-Asians and that non-Asians utilize stereotypes as an excuse to not converse with Asians? Thanks in advance for your clarification. I also believe the anti-U.S. clip that you've linked is actually mocking China, not the U.S. A very bad one at that."

I was trying to say that Asian stereotypes do exist. How to utilize the stereotype into for more toward Asian's advantage. The example I was giving about not to converse with someone if it is either non-Asians or Asians in general. The old Asian stereotype is a good excuse, if you do not want to hold a conversion with anyone. As times goes by, people would realize it isn't true.

The anti-US film clip because it was in the Sundance film festival in Jan 2006. It didn't win, but it is an example showing someone in China has stereotypes about the US; you never know when someone have the last say in the end. My point is, be very careful what you say toward someone of another race.

As for the film clip, I agree and don't agree at the same time because I am an Asian-American. This type of film clip does hurt me too, since America is filled with immigrants, not just a particular race in general. Yes, the creator has alot of spelling errors, as I was confused too.

DrinkDrankDrunk,

"This is not directed towards anyone specifically, but why are so many Asian Americans offended when non-Asians mistaken them for a different ancestory? The "OMG I'm not Korean I'm Chinese" complete with the offensive glare. I sure as hell can't distinguish a German from a Swede, a Jamaican from a South African, an Arabian from an Indian, let alone mutts(which consist of >90% of Caucasians), and I don't expect anyone else to. Non-Asians are not being ignorant; we, like them, just simply all look alike. /rant."

This is an interesting question, sometimes Asians has mistaken another Asian for a different ancestory, for example, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. I had this experience before in my spring semester 2005, a female Asian classmate from China, had mistaken me for a Japanese or Filipino exchange student. However, I wasn't offended because it happens by mistake, I responded calmly that I was neither, but born in the US.

The anti-US film clip because it was in the Sundance film festival in Jan 2006. It didn't win, but it is an example showing someone in China has stereotypes about the US.

You must not have read this thread. "Ha ha ha America" is made by an American who wrote the script himself as an argument against free trade.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/8465-ha-ha-ha-america&highlight=ha

DrinkDrank, your points are well taken. I just wish that there is a fuller range of Asian personalities presented in the US, though I know it's too much to expect for the time being. It doesn't affect me really now that I live in China. Here it's the white people who are stereotyped (e.g.. they are rich ;-).

• 5 months later...

Korean-Americans seems to have benefited from the popularity of the Korean Wave in Asia. American shows like Lost star Kim Yun-jin (the actress played the assassin in Shiri) and Daniel Kim.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/200610/kt2006102515022311680.htm

Grey's Anatomy has Sandra Oh, who plays an intelligent surgical intern on the show.

• 3 weeks later...
Korean-Americans seems to have benefited from the popularity of the Korean Wave in Asia. American shows like Lost star Kim Yun-jin (the actress played the assassin in Shiri) and Daniel Kim.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/cult...5022311680.htm

Grey's Anatomy has Sandra Oh' date=' who plays an intelligent surgical intern on the show.[/quote']

yeah everyone thinks asians are intelligent. it still keeps asians firmly in their stereotypical role, Lost is obvious but even in Grey's anatomy her ethnicity comes up.. asians carry too much cultural baggage. Blacks have come into American culture (or even added to it) and latinos are so common place and entrenched in america that you could put a latino person in any position or role and it wouldnt really matter. But when you hear "Chan" you immediatley think of foreign connotations.