Chinese-Forums

花錢- "Flower" Money?

rose~

^That doesn't really answer the question though does it? It still leaves why "flower" would be used in a compound meaning "to spend". Plus, I think "huaqian" has been around longer than "huafei" anyway, so it wouldn't be an abbreviation.

If you check a dictionary and look at the other meanings I think you can see the general route the character take to acquire the meaning of "to spend".

Flower > Floral > Fancy > Extravagent > Wasteful > To waste > To spend

See? I very much doubt it took on the meaning "to spend" overnight. More likely it's a good example of what can happen to a word if it stays in use for a very long time; it gradually acquires new meanings further and further from its original purpose, but each only a logical step away from the last.

^That doesn't really answer the question though does it? It still leaves why "flower" would be used in a compound meaning "to spend". Plus, I think "huaqian" has been around longer than "huafei" anyway, so it wouldn't be an abbreviation.

If you check a dictionary and look at the other meanings I think you can see the general route the character take to acquire the meaning of "to spend".

Flower > Floral > Fancy > Extravagent > Wasteful > To waste > To spend

See? I very much doubt it took on the meaning "to spend" overnight. More likely it's a good example of what can happen to a word if it stays in use for a very long time; it gradually acquires new meanings further and further from its original purpose, but each only a logical step away from the last.

I have looked in the [pop=national language/guóyǔ]國語[/pop][pop=glossary/cídiǎn]辭典[/pop], here, and it has three entries.

1.賣花錢

2.花錢

3. 花錢粉鈔

This is the entry for 2:

使用金錢。老殘遊記˙第十八回:至於魏家花錢,是他鄉下人沒見識處,不足為怪也。紅樓夢˙第五十三回:那府裡這幾年添了許多花錢的事,一定不可免是要花的,卻又不添些銀子產業。

嫖客付給妓女的費用。儒林外史˙第五十四回:你往常嫖客給的花錢,何常分一個半個給我?

婦女用在花簪粉黛等化妝品上的錢。

As far as I can see, these three explanations treat 花錢 as a noun, like expenses, the expenses of a prostitute or money a woman would spend on 化妝品. There is no entry as a verb.

The entry suggests [pop=to waste money/fèiqián]費錢[/pop] as being similar. It triggered a memory of my teacher in Taiwan talking about how we should say 費錢 and not 花錢. It doesn't mention it being another form of 化錢, but I will try some other dictionaries.