Chinese-Forums

"我不鸟你" from Shrek

Zamenhof

Yesterday I watched the movie Shrek in Chinese, and I encountered an expression that I haven't seen before.

Donkey doesn't want to leave Shrek's home and says:

"我不鸟你。你不鸟我。"

My 2300 page dictionary doesn't have [pop=bird/niǎo]鸟[/pop] as a verb, so what does it mean? Does it have anything to do with birds? Is it a new expression? Slang? :roll:

Kind regards,

Peter

The actual line is 'I don't know you, you don't know me' or something, so I'm going to guess that 鸟 is being used as an alternative for 'know' - note the similarity in pronuciation. I've never heard this used, but you do get stuff like this happening, so it's plausible.

I think 不鳥 means 不理, to ignore or disregard or not care about.

I quite agree with:)

Disregarding the movie,I think it can be traslated into this:If you ignore me,I will ignore you.

ps:In the sentence above,I guess'鳥' maybe read in this way 'diǎo'.

First of all, thank you for your replies.

I find it interesting that 鸟 is an alternative to 屌. My 2300 page dictionary that I mentioned above, actually says the very same thing. So I guess my dictionary is okay after all. I just didn't know that I had to look under "diǎo".

Whatever the meaning is in "Shrek", I share Roddy's surprise that such a word would be used in the translation.

"Niao" has been used as a informal (and impolite) way between males as a slang more than 1,000 years ago. Li Kui, one of the main characters in the novel Shui Hu Zhuan, has used the word thousands times. The slang is becoming popular among male college students in recent years. It can use as an adjective (roughly equals to "damn") or a verb. One should be very careful using it, especially when ladies are present.

鳥 in its slangy usage refers to 'penis' as well as '小弟弟' (literally little brother). Sometimes we'll use 小鳥 to mean 'penis'. I guess that's why 鳥 and 屌 are related.

Ex: 我才不鳥你呢 ! (I don't give a shit ).

鳥事 shitty thing

Hope it helps!:)

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of searches on baidu seem to reveal the word does indeed have origins in copulation, but the slang has taken on another meaning as well, probably used by those unaware of its 'dirtier' connotations.

It seems that it can be used both as 不烦 and 不理. In your movie of course, it is going to have elements of both of these meanings.

you are all wrong.你不鸟我,我也不鸟你,the 鸟 is wrong,should be 了,is short name for the word:了解,means understand,so the sentence means:you don't understand me,and i don't understand you too.this 了 is pouplar in taiwan some places.

i love this movie,we can disscuss if you guys still have problems

• 2 years later...

I was reminded of this old thread when I visited The Journalist magazine (新新闻) today. The title graphic and slogan look like this:

Also, two years later, it looks like 不鸟 might be a variant of 不尿; 尿 in some dictionaries at least is defined as a dialectical word for 在乎 or 理会. Where that comes from I haven't been able to find out.

1960_thumb.attach