Chinese-Forums

Boya Chinese textbook - looking for answers

klortho

I'm studying at Shanghai Jiaotong Daxue, and we're using the Boya Chinese textbooks (博雅汉语), which are great, but very hard, and the class pace is killing me. One problem I have is that the teacher goes over the answers to the exercises very fast, and doesn't give us enough time to write them down. Now, studying for exams, I'd like to know what the answers are, so that I have a good set of examples, etc. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the answers online?

• 4 years later...

So, was the answer key found online, or offline? Is it a wise idea to try Boya without a teacher from the beginner level? I heard that Boya's vocabulary is full of rare words - how bad is this issue at the elementary and semi-intermediate levels, in comparison with NPCR 1-4? How about grammar explanations and translations into English, are they an issue? I see that even in the beginner's books there is very little English, but maybe that's OK or even good? (Sorry for asking dumb questions, but I am confused trying to choose between Boya and NPCR.)

@dreamon

How about grammar explanations and translations into English, are they an issue?

If English translations are important to you, then you may want to consider Integrated Chinese rather NPCR. IC translates the dialogs and all example sentences in the grammar sections. NPCR does neither.

woliveri> I always carried a digital voice recorder to class. Bought it before coming to Shanghai.

Lucky you! I am in the U.S. and not attending a class. At least not yet. Maybe when I attain an "intermediate" level and qualify for the second-year class, then yes.

SiMaKe> If English translations are important to you, then you may want to consider Integrated Chinese rather NPCR. IC translates the dialogs and all example sentences in the grammar sections. NPCR does neither.

I saw too many negative comments towards Integrated Chinese, and also, they are quite expensive. Boya is the cheapest of all, here in the U.S. at least, by a factor of 2 or more, while also providing what appears as more "study goodness" than NPCR. My only concern is that Boya may be too hard for a beginner' self-study. I decided to buy Boya and try the Starter and Pre-Intermediate volumes. Boya seems to be more slanted towards reading than NPCR, which is good given that I finished Pimsleur and bought Assimil "Chinese with Ease" Vol.2, which is all dialogues.

Anyway, I would like to have the answer key for Boya, but if not, that's fine too. Are you aware of any Boya workbooks, similar to NPCR workbooks, or other materials that are used together with Boya? Thanks for the comments!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much, putonghua73, your comments are amazing and very helpful! I'd like to answer in kind, but no time yet... Probably there is just no such thing as an easy textbook of Chinese. There are going to be gaps, chasms, "bad" translations, inadequate grammar explanations, poor sound recordings (for my ear) etc. For example, even after 90 Pimsleur's with great sound quality I still cannot recognize the difference between "-n" and "-ng" ending, for example "min" (民) vs. "ming" (明). It seems that something happens to the vowel that comes before "-n"/"-ng", but I cannot yet figure out a rule. The truly best sound, though, is the one I overheard today in a conference room where several beautiful Chinese girls were chatting and laughing, and I just wanted to listen and listen forever... Protected from shame by a wall, I would open my mouth and eehhh, eehhh - nothing comes out... :) Anyway, I received the BOYAs, but I'd like to learn some characters first to make it easier. Do you think that the main problem with BOYA is the characters? Then Heisig & Richardson should probably bridge the chasm, as well as learning the written vocabulary from Pimsleur. For NPCR, I'd like to get the Second Edition since it's just about to come out; also cheaper that way. For the grammar book to supplement BOYA, I bought "A Practical Chinese Grammar" by Cheung et al., its explanations seem quite clear and detailed, and it's a textbook as opposed to a reference book.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

It has pre-intermediate levels as well but nothing higher.

Probably just have to do an extensive google search for them! Hopefully a University Chinese course somewhere in the world uses the books has put an answer key online!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...