Chinese-Forums

Program for making Chinese Flash Cards

hdejarne

Install East Asian Language fonts on whatever computer you use. (To install on a PC you have to go into the control panel / language settings and manually install and restart the computer, on a Mac in System Prefs go to Personal > International). Once you've done this you can switch between English and Chinese (on a PC/WinXP this shows up in the bottom right corner near your icons where you can switch between the two languages, on a Mac you switch in the upper right hand corner). Open up word and type pinyin. The characters show up, and you can pick the correct ones from a list to tab through (since tones aren't an option). That's the way I've done all sorts of flashcards since Chinese 101.

~Amanda

Hey thanks for the reply. Actually I was tooling around with Microsoft Office last night and discovered that I already had the Chinese simplified and Traditional fonts installed on my computer. Has anyone used Supermemo and Vtrain? I was looking at the two programs the other night and they seem to do the same thing, and Vtrain is a little cheaper, which one is better?

Well... both actually. Right now I'm trying to make some flash cards on my computer since I'm just beginning with the characters (though I think I've figured that out now). But I'm prettty sure I'll need to move to a computer format eventually. (I can't keep up with 2000 flash cards!)

VTrain is the best flashcard program I have seen, but it suffers from the defect of all flashcard programs: the flashcards only have two sides. In my study of Chinese, I need to learn the relationships between four interconnected items:

• The Hanzi character
  • The English meaning
  • The pronunciation
  • The genealogy or etymology of the charcter, a la Zhongwen.com

Given one of these items, I need to be able to recall any of the others. So far I have seen no program that will allow me to do this.

For a while I was making up my own four-sided flashcards, but it consumed too much time.

Has anyone found a solution to this?