Chinese-Forums

BNU application fee

Wang Sen

I'm applying for the fall semester right now at BNU. Does anyone know what the best way to get them the application fee is? Sending 50 bucks in the mail seems kind of dodgy. I've emailed asking if they will take checks or money order and have gotten no reply. Can I get away with writing a check to "Beijing Normal University"? Thanks for the help.

Yeah, call them on the phone or send them a fax. You'll get a quick reply. Usually you can wire them the money. Also, I think you can pay in cash the first day you arrive if you want to do that as well. Check with them first though.

Yea! BNUers unite! I believe then deadline is end of May. Since we're on the topic of BNU,

I am a little confused with these two steps:

2.High school or university graduation certificate or certificate of enrollment at university;

3.Academic transcruipt (applicants holding a Master's degree or higher need only present

their highest academic certificate);

Those of you who are in college, what are you sending for part 2.

I am currently attending Univresity of California San Diego. For part 3, do we have to send official transcripts, or can we send un-official?

Seems like sending them your official/unofficial transcripts would cover both 2 and 3.

Thanks

I'm sending them an application form with my name and address, and the money. Once they see the money, the empty boxes near all the "references" and "where are you studying" stuff should fade away :-)

I'm 36 and am learning Mandarin just for something to do (taking a break from the IT freelance work I usually do). As I work for myself, I'd have to do my own references anyway.

As for sending the money, my plan is to ask one of the new friends I made when I was in Beijing (scouting BNU and others) last November to pay cash for me, and I'll bring them something from the UK in return. I'll find out how trusting they are in a couple of weeks time!

"2.High school or university graduation certificate or certificate of enrollment at university;

Those of you who are in college, what are you sending for part 2?"

I'm in my last weeks of college right now, I went to the registrars office to get a copy of my transcript. I asked about the "certificate of enrollment" and found out that this is in fact a common document. They called it a "letter of enrollment" at my school and were happy to provide it.

As far as the BNU application date, I've seen two different dates on BNU's website. One refers to a May 30th due date, however I've also seen a June 15th due date. I'm pretty sure that this is not an error and in fact they have moved the due date to June 15th and just not updated all parts of the website. Hope that helps (and I am no authority on this, just going by my gut feeling here.) :mrgreen:

Just wondering if anyone has managed to pay the BNU fee via a bank transfer instead of by cash or cheque. I know the transfer method of payment is offered at BLCU but apparently not at BNU. I wrote to BNU and the lady replied that only payment by cash or cheque is accepted (which is a bit of a problem for me).

Would appreciate any info on how to get round this.

If they won't give you the bank details for a transfer, there isn't much you can do about it.

Can only suggest you email again asking why not, and if it's because of high charges, offer to pay them.

I'm about to apply to BNU as well. I'm sure if you convince them that they will get all the money they expect, they'll take it any way they can :-)

I think they can convert foreign currency at the local Bank of China branch. I guess Swiss Francs would be ok, but you could send Euros too if you aren't sure. No chance of getting RMB outside of the country (legally)

No chance of getting RMB outside of the country (legally)

I've been able to get RMB from UK banks - had to wait a week for the order to come in and the exchange rate was laughable, mind. That was just before my first trip out, and I guess I had visions of being stranded on the wrong side of the Great Wall unable to pay my Special Foreign Friends Entry Fee or something.

In this case though, I'd just stick USD or Euro's cash in the envelope.

Just for info

The travel company Thomas Cook in the uk will exchange pounds to RMB with one days notice. Most uk banks will do it over two days. Travelex or american express at the airport will change at the counter. I have never had a problem. The rate is about the same as in Beijing ( very little difference ) There is a limit of 6000 RMB per person stated for persons entering China but on the custom cards when you arrive it states an amount in cash not exceeding 20,000 RMB .

some weeks later ... I had the details of the BNU bank account details to send the admission fees ... :

The Account No. of Beijing Normal University

BANK NAME:BANK OF CHINA BEI JING WEN HUI YUAN SUB BRANCH (0086-10-62242389)

ACCOUNT: 805210235708091001

ADDRESS:NO.4 WEN HUI YUAN BEI JING HAI DIAN

SWIFT CODE:BKCHCNBJ110

:lol:

I'm so glad I won't be the only Westerner! I heard a lot of the foreign students in Beijing are Korean or Japanese (which, while exciting, means Chinese will be the common language). For anyone who hasn't worked it out yet, BNU says you have to pay the tuition fees in cash. I emailed them to confirm, and they said no cheques, no credit cards: cash. Eeeep!

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I finally submitted my application. I FedEx'd it to a friend of mine in Beijing who delivered it in person to BNU and gave them the 450RMB cash.

Took ages to get the application stuff because BNU demanded a certified copy of my degree certificate. Why is this necessary? Who knows. I graduated 15 years ago! Anyway, £22 poorer thanks to Loughborough University, and £38 poorer due to FedEx, my application arrived.

Not processed, because I didn't provide my degree "transcript" from my university. Pleading with them on the phone (The UK didn't provide transcripts back in 1991 you jobsworths, just let me study Mandarin!!!) didn't work. Am now waiting for my old University to write "We didn't issue transcripts back in the 90s, you jobsworths" on headed paper, which I then need to post to them.

Grief.