Chinese-Forums

Excellent Listening Course

roddy

If you want to be able to read the explanations, the questions or the tapescripts, then you're going to have to use simplifed. I don't know how much of a problem that would be for you, but if it's something that will annoy you then you might want to look for an alternative course.

Roddy

well, when I was in between traditional and simplified characters, i often used a scanner plus any small program designed for converting GB to Big5 and other way round. it does mean printing out almost the whole book, but, if simplified characters seem to be a problem in the beginning, it sure is faster than the dictionary.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Anybody know what's up with the BCLU Press website? I tried to use the link Roddy posted at the beginning of this thread (http://www.blcup.com.cn/) and got a "Server not found message." I'm guessing you'd get that message even if you were on the Mainland?

AUUGGGHH!

I need more things to listen to besides Pimsleur. I've almost finished my really anal word-for-word transcript of Mandarin Level One though...

He leaves his computer running, and whenever a message comes in, it rings a bell in his apartment...:shock:

-- That's my theory anyways. But, I'm not sure how he get's any sleep then. Hmm..

• 4 months later...
  • 9 years later...

@Flickserve,

This series has a whole new edition out. Or at least it is a decent substitute for the series in this thread. It even seems to be keyed to the HSK. In fact, I think it's more test oriented than it was before, but that might make a lot of people very happy.

It's New Years here in Japan right now, and I have family responsibilities that come first, but I will give you the references next week. Please be patient.

TBZ

• 3 years later...
On 1/1/2016 at 10:44 PM, TheBigZaboon said:

@Flickserve,

This series has a whole new edition out. Or at least it is a decent substitute for the series in this thread. It even seems to be keyed to the HSK. In fact, I think it's more test oriented than it was before, but that might make a lot of people very happy.

It's New Years here in Japan right now, and I have family responsibilities that come first, but I will give you the references next week. Please be patient.

TBZ

Hi.

It turns out I will visit Beijing in a few weeks time for a couple of days.

Could you give me more information on the name and ISBN?

Thanks

Took me a while to wake up, it's Sunday morning here....

I have no idea what I was talking about, which, I am told, is usually the case, but maybe one of these two series:

Oriented towards English-speaking students: Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced Chinese Listening

(ISBN for Advanced Listening II : 9787561937358).

Each level seems to have a I and a II, and each has both a textbooks volume and a Listening scripts & answer keys volume, so at least a dozen slim books. The back of the student's listening-workbook volume has an expected previously learned word count, and an appropriate for studying for HSK X chart, making me think I may have been talking about this series.

The other possibility is this one, used as part of the BLCU standard course for first year full time students:  汉语听力教程 ,divided into 第一册, etc. (ISBN for 第一册 student texbook and answer key volume: 9787651923634) CDs may be sold as extra material as this is used in classroom settings, and the audio may thus be provided by the school. (ISBN for the CDs for volume I is 9787887037459)  This series seems to be the updated version of the series Elina references in her post above. You can contact her, she is extremely helpful.

In any case, I think the two series are different, but one never knows, do one...

Hope this helps. 

TBZ

• Thanks 1

It looks like this might be the "second edition" but can't confirm. I'll also point out my original post was thirteen years ago now and I'm not sure if I'd be so enthusiastic now so many other resources are available. Those were dialup days  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that's the first item in my post. (Search by ISBN and it'll come up.)

And you may be correct in that that's the second edition, while the second item is the second edition of the 听力 portion of the  BLCU first year course. 

But as always, I'm required to stand by every misstatement I've ever made...

TBZ... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, TheBigZaboon said:

Took me a while to wake up, it's Sunday morning here....

I have no idea what I was talking about, which, I am told, is usually the case, but maybe one of these two series:

Oriented towards English-speaking students: Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced Chinese Listening

(ISBN for Advanced Listening II : 9787561937358).

Each level seems to have a I and a II, and each has both a textbooks volume and a Listening scripts & answer keys volume, so at least a dozen slim books. The back of the student's listening-workbook volume has an expected previously learned word count, and an appropriate for studying for HSK X chart, making me think I may have been talking about this series.

The other possibility is this one, used as part of the BLCU standard course for first year full time students:  汉语听力教程 ,divided into 第一册, etc. (ISBN for 第一册 student texbook and answer key volume: 9787651923634) CDs may be sold as extra material as this is used in classroom settings, and the audio may thus be provided by the school. (ISBN for the CDs for volume I is 9787887037459)  This series seems to be the updated version of the series Elina references in her post above. You can contact her, she is extremely helpful.

In any case, I think the two series are different, but one never knows, do one...

Hope this helps. 

TBZ

I only had time to go to Wangfujing bookstore.

Unfortunately, they didn't have either set of books for listening practice.

I picked up various books on other aspects which I hope to go through. Enough material to last three years.