Chinese-Forums

Yi....wei

Dongfang

OMG haven't you heard of President Hu's newest propaganda??!

八荣八耻

以热爱祖国为荣、以危害祖国为耻

以服务人民为荣、以背离人民为耻

以崇尚科学为荣、以愚昧无知为耻

以辛勤劳动为荣、以好逸恶劳为耻

以团结互助为荣、以损人利己为耻

以诚实守信为荣、以见利忘义为耻

以遵纪守法为荣、以违法乱纪为耻

以艰苦奋斗为荣、以骄奢淫逸为耻

Loosely translated, it is 'The Eight Commendable Acts and the Eight Shameful Acts', beginning with 'Loving your motherland is commendable while doing harm to your country is shameful', followed by 'serving the people is commendable while betraying the people is shameful', and so on.

About the grammar book ... I don't think you are going to find any 'complete' book on Chinese grammar, as Chinese is inherently hugely un-grammatical (if you treat Latin as the epitome of grammatical language) and the linguists in China are still fighting amongst themselves to decide if certain things are proverbs or conjunctions or whatever. Classical Chinese survived for thousands of years without a single rule of grammar, so why should you care anyway? As long as you can distinguish a verb from a noun, trust me, you will be fine. Grammatically constructed Chinese sentences sound very English to the Chinese ear, and the best you can do is to read more good Chinese texts to improve your feel of the language.

I would recommend "Chinese: A Comprehensive Grammar" by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington, one of the most practical & comprehensive of its kind.

Chinese is inherently hugely un-grammatical (if you treat Latin as the epitome of grammatical language) and the linguists in China are still fighting amongst themselves to decide if certain things are proverbs or conjunctions or whatever. Classical Chinese survived for thousands of years without a single rule of grammar, so why should you care anyway? As long as you can distinguish a verb from a noun, trust me, you will be fine. Grammatically constructed Chinese sentences sound very English to the Chinese ear...
:wall:conf:roll::help

As long as you can distinguish a verb from a noun, trust me, you will be fine.

Is there grammar in the following sentence? :help

市场调查部就最近为针对Quest公司在市场策略上对以客户为主以雇员为本所作出的调整而拟定的方案发表了分内整和外扩的两个方面的建议,其目的为促使本公司在相应策略上能够与时并进,从而得到市场竞争力的提升。