Chinese-Forums

Setup was Unable to Install the Chosen Locale

Prodigal Son

I've gone into Control Panel > Regional and Language Options and selected "Install Files for East Asian Languages" and also manually added simplified (PRC) and traditional (Hong Kong SAR) languages and still I can't display chinese characters.

Any tips on what's going on here?

It depends on where you're trying to display them. If you're trying to see them in IE or Forefox, you have to go to View > Character Encoding and find "Auto-detect Chinese." If you're trying to run Chinese programs, you have to go to Regional & Language Options > Advanced, then click on the drop-down menu and select the appropriate Chinese formatting option.

Another option, that doesn't require restarting your computer, is to use NJStar CJK Viewer; but it doesn't always work perfectly.

I've never had to mess with the character encoding in Firefox to get Chinese to work, but after playing around with it, it still refuses to display characters in either Firefox or within windows programs. I've installed Chinese under the Advanced button in Regional & Language options. I'll keep trying some things and investigating, thanks for the suggestions-

When I try to make the adjustment that I can see in the screenshot you posted, a dialog box pops up and says "Setup was unable to install the chosen locale. Please see your system Administrator"

I'm logged in as Administrator on the laptop so it's not a problem with priviledges. Fuck you, Windows. :cry:

hey,

if you do it the way u are trying at the moment that will only allow you to type in chinese not change text from chinese to english. The easiest way is to download a "chinese language pack" from google. the way you arre doing now will allow u to type outgoing mail etc in chinese , u need a language pack to be able to translate incoming chinese text . also try ,"chinese translation pack" thru google,. cheers clinta

Here are the settings i use. This should allow you to view characters in both the windows filesystem (explorer, etc), and in other programs (browsers, games, dictionary software,etc)..

Are you able to check the "east-asian language support" and add the chinese keyboard input without any problems? (first two images..) Or do you get admin problems when you try to do that as well?

415_thumb.attach

416_thumb.attach

417_thumb.attach

• 2 weeks later...