Chinese-Forums

Keats School, Kunming - A Query

Barb in Maryland

SunnySideUp,

I would like to suggest that, if you are beyond the basic level (and if you are already in China), you should consider finding Chinese people that can study one-on-one with you for free. Especially if you are an English teacher, you might be able to find several of your students who are willing to do an "exchange" with you (speaking only Chinese for thirty minutes, then only English for thirty minutes. It can even be one hour of Chinese-only followed by 30 minutes of English-only. Many of my students are very happy to do this type of unbalanced exchange). For me, this way of studying is much more effective. But I also do understand that some people need a regular class, in a classroom, with a textbook, homework, a final exam, etc. If you are interested in how to do an exchange with someone, please feel free to ask.

Are you already in China?

Hi NinjaTurtle,

Thank you for your advice. I'm currently not in China and I'm also not an English teacher - I'm just someone who's interested in Mandarin for the fun of it (meaning I don't have to cram for tests, either, but I have taken an easy HSK before to see if I could pass.) I don't think I'm good enough to just meet up with people to talk and since I have done quite a bit of self study I'd prefer a more structured approach for a change. 

I have been looking at Keats, obviously (that's how I found this threat), but LTL's Beijing & Chengde program sounds intriguing, too. Especially the homestay option. I was thinking about going in fall, and as ridiculous that sounds, weather does play a role in my plans (so the North might be a bit cold this time of year), but so does clear 普通话, which makes me a bit wary of Yunnan province. So I was wondering if someone had been to other schools similar to Keats and LTL or could comment on their recent stay in these schools. 

18 hours ago, SunnySideUp said:

@Wippen (inactive) Did you get around to writing that review by any chance?

Wippen didn't want to post on here any more and requested the addition of (inactive) so everyone would know. Which was a new request in my 15 years of running the site, but we aim to please.

• Thanks 1

@roddy Thank you for letting me know that Wippen ist no longer here. I did notice the "inactive" part of the username, but then again thought it could have been a reference to inactive Chinese studies or the like. 

@NinjaTurtle Thank you! I've listened to/watched some, most recently from the channel "Chinese Zero to Hero" that's tied to HSK levels. I'm in between HSK 3 and 4 at the moment, so nowhere near being able to listen to real native material, unfortunately. What are your favorite videos/podcasts? I also quite like the chairman's bao. 

In terms of finding a school, I've seen good reviews for both Keats and the LTL homestay programs, but I'm leaning a bit more towards Keats at the moment, because I think I should be a bit better when I truly want to live and interact with a Chinese family on a day-to-day basis. The north will also be colder and  LTL seems to be a lot more expensive. Only thing with Keats is that I read most people outside the classroom will speak some form of dialect and let's just say I struggle enough with listening and understanding the clearly enunciated audio recordings ;) Anyway, thank you - much appreciated!

Thank you very much @ShelbyR for taking the time to write down your experiences - that was really helpful. I sort of figured it's make or break depending on what family you get... quite amusing to read about 50-year old "kids" though not so nice they didn't invite you along to do things. Did you find the family on your own or did you go through an agency/ language school?

If I end up going to Keats I might pay your gong fu master a visit, too. That sounds like a fun way of practicing the language :)

Thanks again for the write-up, really appreciated reading it!

You're welcome Sunny.  I found the home stay through the school I attended for a month.  The woman thought that they did an excellent job being inclusive, compared to other home stays (but I had nothing to compare them to) and they did invite me to help them make food during New Year's, which was pretty neat.  Their son was in college in America and that's how they had an extra room to rent.

At Keats I started to chat with the woman who did the cleaning.  She had a very thick accent so I was determined to understand her.  The men at the temple also had thick accents and were very old but very interested in America, human rights, etc, so that prompted a week of me studying political words at Keats. The temple is on Baita and Tuodong just beyond the Gingko's (which has a western supermarket in the bottom floor). The cook at Keats is very nice and has been there for a long time.  She was also good to chat with after dinner, and she showed me some photos of a place to visit, some rice patties.  I didn't end up going, but another person at the school rented a car and went out to see the famous rice patties.

My big score on practicing Chinese came with a two hour conversation in the coffee shop with a woman studying English.  As it turns out, she couldn't understand or speak a word of it, but was very curious that I was studying Chinese, so that started our conversation and we just kept talking.  She was probably 35-40 and spoke standard Mandarin.  Next year when I go back, I'll make more of an effort to start a conversation, not just study or read, when I'm in the coffee shop.  It takes a fair amount of energy to keep trying to have good (not just superficial) conversations, so that's why I like having my own room to decompress after being out and about during the day.  They also have cable at Keats so I could watch Chinese or English TV.  I already have the 3 Kingdoms series loaded onto my computer from Youtube with English subtitles for my next trip (but two episodes in Thai as I couldn't find a Chinese version :( ).  It's about 60 hours.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SunnySideUp said:

That sounds like a fun way of practicing the language 

I highly recommend it.  Not necessarily gongfu - just finding local Chinese people with a similar interest or hobby as one you have, and then interacting with them out of a shared interest in that activity.  It's the best way to make local friends and pick up the language at the same time.

• Helpful 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone studied at both Keats and CLI in Guilin? I am trying to pick a 1 on 1 program to study at and am having trouble deciding, both seem very  similar. Thinking about just spending half of my time at each if I can't decide.  

Agree with Ben. Especially since you probably only have a short time. If I'm wrong and it's a matter of six or eight months here and six or eight months there, then we need to discuss further. 

1 hour ago, 艾墨本 said:

Having to start over a reestablish a study routine will disrupt your learning progress.

This is a great point.  I was worried about this as well as the aspect of making local friends at each of the cities. It would be easier if I spend more time at one place. 

That said my reasoning for wanting to do both was because Guilin and Yunnan are both places I am very interested in visiting. My time studying will be followed by about a month and a half of touring all over china, and if I study at Guilin then I'll spend some time afterwards travelling Yunnan, and vice versa if I choose to study at Keats. So I figured since I'll be going to both cities regardless I might as well just extend the time and do a study program while there.  

Sounds like it might be a better idea to spend the majority of my time at one of the cities, and simply visit the other one later on.  

1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

Especially since you probably only have a short time. If I'm wrong and it's a matter of six or eight months here and six or eight months there, then we need to discuss further

My plan was to spend about 3 months total, so I'd split it into 6 weeks at each city.  So you're right, and I should not try to do both programs. 

I will try to choose one school.  I am more concerned about the city itself than the school since both seem very similar. I think I am currently leaning towards Guilin since it seems like a more interesting city to live in than Kunming, but I might change my mind any day.  I have spent 4 months studying at Chengdu in the past, and I loved it. I figure Kunming is probably more similar to Chengdu, which is fine - I LOVED living in Chengdu, but part of me wants to experience a smaller city and see what living in one is like.  If anyone has some input about these cities I'd love to hear it,  I know this thread already has some good information about Kunming. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZhuoMing said:

My plan was to spend about 3 months total, so I'd split it into 6 weeks at each city. 

Have you checked that you can still get an X2 visa if you're being sponsored by two separate schools for only 6 weeks?

If your ambition is to visit places then it might be worth considering making this distinct from the studying part, i.e. have a few holiday weeks as well as the studying?

25 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Have you checked that you can still get an X2 visa if you're being sponsored by two separate schools for only 6 weeks?

My plan is to spend 5 months total in China, with 3 months dedicated to study followed by 2 months for travel all over the country.  I was going to get the tourist visa and make a weekend trip to another country every 60 days or whenever it expires.  

• Like 1

OK... no guarantees there though in terms of days of stay.  (I just applied for 60 days L visa and was told I'll only get 30.)  

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure Keats are one of the few private schools allowed to support an X2 visa.

• Helpful 1

How is it Kunming with putonghua now? I'm going to spend 32 weeks in Keats and my only concern is the dialect. Well, I suppose I'd have problem with dialect everywhere in China so.. :)

I heard Keats is famous for the one on one classes but I prefer the small group. Is it good as the one on one?