Chinese-Forums

Microsoft Pinyin IME 4.0 ?

Guxovore

Hello,

I wonder why Microsoft Pinyin IME 4.0 seems to be erased from every places on the web... In fact I never heard about it but I read some posts on this forum (posted by Quest) which give a link to this new version. The link doesn't seem to work anymore. Microsoft's website doesn't talk about it.

I made a huge search on google, inputing "Microsoft Pinyin IME 4.0" or "MSPY" or things like that. A few websites refer this. But no one give url to download (all links give 404 error).

Why ? did it have a security problem and Microsoft took it back ?

In Vista it seems that it's version 5, so I guess 4.0 should exists...

Anyone have an idea ?

Yes it has been taken off Microsoft's website, I don't know what's wrong with it, but it hasn't caused me any problems. I would think if there's any security problem, Microsoft would release a patch instead of removing the product, I mean who could they fool by doing that?

Trying searching for: 微软拼音输入法2003

see if you can find a download site.

This site for example still has the link to the 22MB version: http://www.zdnet.com.cn/download/windows/swinfo/0,2008005031,39086800s,00.htm?

but I forget what the difference was between the 22MB and the 75MB versions.

Ok, I found the 75MB link for you

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/6/5/b6554006-de1b-4160-9aee-62accd789373/MSPY.msi

• 3 weeks later...

possibly interesting note:

I am running windows XP Home edition, but my MS office is 97.

So when I tried to install IME 3.0 it seemed to complain that I needed Office XP

in order to do the install. I tried installing 3.0 both ways(XP and non-XP) with no luck.

So I installed the MSPY 75MB version from the link Quest provided, and everything works fine so far. Seems like I had to reboot 2x before the little language icon would appear on the task bar, but other than that, I can put stuff in word, 或是在 firefox brower 里面写中文。

If someone can give a hint on how to use MSPY(IME 4.0) to write traditional characters using pinyin (if that is possible) that would be great.

Thanks.

The compatibility issues with XP and earlier MS Office versions, and the desire to force upgrades may explain why IME 4.0 was taken off the MS web site. Or it might be a red herring.

To type traditional characters using pinyin with IME 4.0:

1. Right click the language bar and select 设置(E)

2. Make sure the appropriate input method is selected, then click then click on 属性(P)

3. Select the radio button for 繁体中文®.

4. Finally click 确定.

• 1 month later...

To Guxovore,

I am still downloading Quest's version of MPSY 4.0, haven't try it yet.

But I found out there is traditional charactors in MPSY 3.0 (simplified).

Try this:

Step 1: Goto "Language Bar" --> Goto "Menu"

Step 2: Click "Options", "Microsoft Pinyin Options" window will pop out.

Step 3: In last option, there is "Character Set", and you have 3 options

“Simplified Chinese"

"Traditional Chinese"

"Extended Character Set".

Choose "Traditional Chinese".

Done. You can type traditional chinese now with Microsoft Pinyin IME 2003 ver3.0.

There is a far easier way to get Traditional characters in the 3.0 IME:

With the language bar properly visible, click the little arrow at the end that brings up a menu of buttons that can be displayed, and enable "Charset". Then you just click the button to switch between the two.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That 2007 version seems to ripped off from the Office 2007 CD. The installer says it is part of Microsoft Office 2007. I tried running the installer, but after a certain point, it just closes. Maybe because I don't have Office 2007 (or any other version of Microsoft Office - using OpenOffice.org here.)

You are misunderstanding me - it is the 2007 version that did not install here. By poking around the .cab file in the 2007 version, it appears it would be version 8.0.

I already have the 2003 (4.0) version installed.

Nevermind, the 2007 IME did install. I didn't realize it because the installer did not give any feedback about installation success, and did not add anything to my Add/Remove Programs.

Only after I restarted (which I didn't bother to do for awhile, getting no feedback from the installer), I now have the 2007IME installed. I only noticed because the background colour when it gives choices for characters is lighter. It says it is version 12.0.4518.1014. I don't see any major differences with the 2003IME, though this one does have the IME pad (the 2003 one did not on my particular computer).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I've installed MSPY 2007 but have some issues. Any help would be appreciated. (I am using Windows 2000 Professional)

1. I can't seem to access the option menu or change to traditional characters.

2. When I click on anything in the option menu, the menu just disappears and nothing else pops up unlike when I had MSPY 2003.

3. It makes Firefox crash after I press shift to change between English and Chinese input.