Chinese-Forums

Elem./Int. HSK Listening section strategy

Laska

A question for those of you who have taken the test...

Skimming questions in the text booklet before the tape gets to them is obviously a good way to score higher on the HSK listening section. By underlining personal names and trying to guess what the question is going to be about, I can significantly improve my score.

My question is this: On the actual exam (I haven't taken it yet), is it possible to skim several questions while the directions of each sub-section are being given? In other words, while the tape is giving an example dialogue for the first part of the listening section, is the test booklet already open to the first several questions, as it is in the practice exams? Can you flip through the test booklet while the directions are being given?

Thanks! And good luck to everyone taking the HSK!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't actually taken the test, but based on the practice tapes I've used, yes, you have enough time between questions to read the next question. However, you have to concentrate hard because the questions are only played once. The HSK site has a listening test for download so you can get a feeling for it.

The problem for me comes when I'm filling in bubbles on the answer sheet. It takes so much time to fill in a bubble that I end up having to read the next question too quickly.

By the way, I found out about the big, thick pencils that Chinese test takers use to fill in the bubbles on exams. If you don't know abouy these, check out your local stationary store before you take your next HSK. One swipe and it fills in the bubble. Very speedy.