Chinese-Forums

need help with these characters, advanced

kaox0018

柔腸百折 -> description on a woman whose heart (柔腸 intestines ~ inside) has been broken into a hundred pieces (百折)

I think it is 素孝裏著紅羅 (wear a red dress/skirt inside the plain-coloured clothes for mourning) ... too many typos ...

柔肠百折,柔(肝)肠寸断

These idoms have a similar meaning that a person is so sad that his heart is broken.

“折” means break or snap, like in 折断; sometimes it also means bend or twist, like in 曲折.

“百” seems to be a hundred, but it usuaslly doesn't mean that way, especially when it comes into a phrase or idom. For instance, "千军万马" means a large number of mounted and foot soldiers, insteand of a thousand of soldiers. Likewise, "百" here is only used to emphasize that the sadness is so deep, not actully means one's guts twist in a hundred turns or one's heart broke into a hundred parts.

what is 百折 in:

擰這手帕,哭得柔腸百折的小女人?

These words are too abstract. It is difficult both for explaining and understanding. 柔肠百折is similar to 柔肠百转,which is more fruquently used. It is usually used to describe the music or the song is touching, moving. You can feel the emotion the song or the music try to convey to. For example, 这支曲子真是让人柔肠百转。I think here it describes that the little woman's very sad. And 柔肠百折or 柔肠百转is not colloquialism. They are all big words. I see them most from literary works.

what is 僑生生 in

僑生生的小寡婦?

I think the 僑 is wrong. 僑 means migrants, which is 侨 in simplified Chinese. It should be 俏,here means pretty, beautiful. And 生生 is dialect of northwest of China usually behind adj. to emphasize it.[/color]

what is 素孝裏裏

乾脆刺激一點,何不素孝裏裏著紅羅群,一副敢做敢當的模樣

In china, people wear white in funeral. That is "穿孝"。“素孝裹”is white clothes here I think. The other 裹 is a v., it means "wear". [/color]

At last, I wonder where you see these sentences. Chinese today won't speak like that. It must be from works written before the foundation of PRC China.

And I have finally done it.