Chinese-Forums

Chinese compound words that have deep meaning

Ian_Lee

You don't normally get exact semantic equivalence across languages. Thus, the meaning of apparently equivalent words and phrases is rarely exactly the same; the usage is almost always slightly different, and there are always cases where a different "equivalent" word would do the job better.

But "deeper" meaning? I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. Yiwai may have a more fine-grained meaning than accident; the fact that there exists the almost synonymous shigu seem to back that up (both these words, perhaps, occupy more or less the same semantic space as accident).

Do you mean "deeper" because of what the etymology may conjure up when the words are used? Like "oh no, something out of expectation has happened!" If so, I disagree. Yiwai describes pretty much the same event or phenomenon as accident, not other unexpected happenings. But anyway that would be be broader, not deeper.

(I think weiji could be analysed as "potential for danger" don't you? And maodun is a totally frozen metaphor)

Irony -- Spear and Shield
"Mao dun", for example, doesn't convey the same range of meanings that "irony" covers in English.

Not so much 'deeper' as 'different', isn't it? Maodun is something along the lines of conflict / contradiction, while irony is 反话 or 讽刺. I can't think of any situations where you would translate irony to maodun or vice versa.

Roddy

"Mao Dun" -- "Spear and Shield" actually means more like a paradox than an irony in English.

But I would say it is hard to find an English equivalence for this ancient Chinese word.

Even though its meaning is hard to fathom, "Mao Dun" is easier to explain to kids than either irony or paradox.

When I cited the phrase "use your spear to thwart at your own shield", my grade school daughter understood the compound word's meaning right away.

矛盾 does not really mean a conflict if you mean a conflict between two parties.

It refers more to a person's character or how a matter is handled or how a scenario is evolved.

But 矛盾 sometimes can also carry the implication of irony or sarcasm if you are teasing at somebody.

Is contradiction a proper equivalence of 矛盾? I ain't sure but I guess that may be what is stated in the dictionary.

Roddy:

矛盾 can be interpreted as ironic in cases such as:

(In Chinese)

This guy is very 矛盾 that he claimed he prefers slim girl but he married a fat lady.

(In English)

It is ironic that he ................ (In such case "ironic" is a better choice than "contradictory")

Roddy:

矛盾 can be interpreted as ironic in cases such as:

(In Chinese)

This guy is very 矛盾 that he claimed he prefers slim girl but he married a fat lady.

(In English)

It is ironic that he ................ (In such case "ironic" is a better choice than "contradictory")

I would prefer 讽刺。

• 1 month later...