Chinese-Forums

Quick check on Google access just now

roddy

have tied my toes into the crossed position to try and keep it that way.

I did the same, but then I went for my siesta. Woke up and wondered why I couldn't walk and why I was lying on the bedroom floor. The wife screamed "drunk again!", I said "Are you?", she muttered something about going back to stay with mama, the dog tried to shag me, burglars broke in and decided we had nothing worth stealing.

It hasn't been a good day!

But Google is working!

• 2 weeks later...

Mines back now. Turned off my router for a while, not sure if that helped at all - there was a three hour gap between me turning it off and waking up again. Annoying anyway, I wonder if there's anyway to download the Google index to my hard drive for situations like this. I've got about 280GB of storage all in, should be enough, yeah?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Google and gmail ok here in Shanghai

but with Google Images it's often a hit and miss

in the last two years Google Images seems to be partially blocked ,

sometimes it works perfectly ,sometimes only half of the images appear and sometimes nothing, anyone experiencing something similar?

Google is working fine. Google images has always been a bit moody. Hitting F5 to reload sometimes works. If the wind is in the right direction and the searching gods in a good mood. Making sacrifices the night before always helps.

I don't understand exactly how the problems with the image search arise, but I'm pretty sure it's because the page and the image filenames are including banned urls - when you have problems look where the images are sourced from and you'll likely find a blog site, the Chinese language version of wikipedia, human rights site, whatever.

A quick fix is just to change the google.com in the url to google.cn - you don't get the exact same set of results, but you may find what you need.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand exactly how the problems with the image search arise, but I'm pretty sure it's because the page and the image filenames are including banned urls - when you have problems look where the images are sourced from and you'll likely find a blog site, the Chinese language version of wikipedia, human rights site, whatever.

no no , I can't see any image ,even from mainland Chinese site

sometimes they appear if I refresh the browser

see the attached screenshot

1882_thumb.attach

• 1 year later...