Chinese-Forums

Rock Climbing in Beijing

minipig

Nabax,

I'm not sure if you got my PM. I had heard that the boulder bar is closed. Do you know that it is open? What time do you want to climb? I may be able to make it. Though i'm gonna need some great directions. I just got here last week and I don't speak/read chinese (I start chinese classes on monday). send me an email... rbarpar at gmail dot com.

Barrett

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Glad to find this thread. I'm possibly coming to Beijing and was wondering what I'd do for staying in shape. I've seen the posts for the "Extreme experiences" bouldering/bar, and an address for the Capital Gymnasium, which claims to have a wall. I'm a big fan of the "full-service" climbing gyms in the San Francisco area (home) and wonder if anyone knows of something like this in Beijing....machines, spinning, yoga, climbing routes, etc. Thanks!

Dai

Folks,

I'm in Beijing for work through at least September 10, and am looking to get out climbing.

I've been to Extreme Experience once so far (this past Wednesday evening), and met one cool climber... But the gym was empty except for him, me, and the bartenders.

I'm heading over there around 14:30 today with him again, feel free to join us! We were going to head out to Ritan park for the climbing wall, but it is raining :-(

Anyway, I'm from the San Francisco bay area in California, and do quite a bit of outdoor climbing. I would like to head out to one of the local areas on the weekend. I brought my rope and quickdraws, I just need partners.

Ciao,

-Tad

• 2 months later...

Hi

I'm here for a few weeks and have my shoes and harness. Can I join anyone going climbing please? I'm learning Chinese but am still just a beginner so really don't have the vocab or confidence to rock up to a wall, make friends and convince someone to belay me...

I promise I'm an affable chap..

add

Hey Maxou.

Extreme experience is open and at the Pingod centre. There is also a climbing wall at Peking University that I can definitely find.

The others are all listed in this thread I think. I'm not great but can belay. We'd need a rope is all. I have my harness and shoes.

You can talk to me at adam.dutton@zoo.ox.ac.uk.

add

• 2 months later...

Hi,

It's been SO long since I've been climbing.

I'm new to Beijing and have no idea where any of the climbing gyms are.

If you have any information please email: kirst.emily@gmail.com

If you're an outdoors enthusiast looking for some good trips around Beijing feel free to email.

Cheers folks,

kirsten

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody !

I'm French and I just arrived in Beijing! I read your messages, did one of you suceeded in creating a climbing group or something like that?

In Paris, I used to rock climb in the Foret de Fontainebleau (for those you may know the place) and I climbed also in Bourgogne with rope.

I would definitely enjoy to join a climbing group as I already miss climbing...

Do not hesitate to contact me at julie_chen_ye@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Julie

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I just moved to Beijing and I am living in the northeast suburb.

I am really a beginner and have little experience but I'd really like to climb. I have harnet and shoes but I still need a spot and partners.

I'am also looking for other activities so if you are forming groups of hikers to escape from the coty in the week-end please get in contact with me.

All the best,

GS

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone,

I just started studying at Tsinghua University and I am going to stay here for a year. Luckily I brought my climbing gear with me (except for the rope), just in case. And now I am thrilled to learn that there are a couple of places to climb. So far I just checked out the “wall” at my uni. It is not really worth mentioning it. It is not very high and the difficulty level is rather easy. And it looks very old and unsafe + it is outdoors.

So, is there anybody who can provide me with a better location (indoor, toprope), a description how to get there and maybe wants to go climbing in the evenings or on the Weekend? I would be very thankful for any help! You can just write me an email: benihana66(at)hotmail(dot)com

Cheers, Heiko

• 1 month later...

Ice Climbing? I didn't see a link to "Ice Climbing", but thought this worth a try. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to contact an ice climbing partner? I'm delivering survival training to Scout Leaders in Hong Kong on January 8-13 and thought an interesting trip would be to Shuangqiao Valley, Sicuan, China. I'm less interested in joining a tour group as I prefer individual climbing. I'm from Canada, do lots of mountaineering and lead WI3-WI4 ice. Thinking 10-12 days after the 13th of January, heading back to Canada on the 27th. Got all screws, ropes, etc. I'm a non-Chinese speaker!

Hi everyone... does anyone know of any indoor climbing gym in beijing, around fengtai district? I've been wanting to go climbing here but I can't seem to find a place to climb. I went to the boulder bar but I think they sort of renovated the place such that it is not allowed to climb anymore? I'm really desperate. I want to climb. So pls anybody reply me.

Regards

Doreen

• 2 weeks later...

hello!

I´m in Beijing now and are also having troubles finding a place to boulder indoors. Is extreme experience shut down? I tried calling but apparently its now a restaurant, tho the food is great according to the guy answering.

well please contact me if you know some place or need someone to go with!

Vidar :help

Hi Vidar,

How long have you been in beijing? I came here about 2 mths back and have yet to find an indoor gym where I can climb. I've been to extreme experience but they have totally renovated it into a restaurent and you can't climb there anymore so don't bother. Anyway, if you manage to find any indoor climbing place could you let me know? I am dying to climb.

dangerzone_666@hotmail.com

cheers

Doreen

• 1 month later...

called Extreme Experience today; it seems they no longer have a wall to climb as of July of last year (2008)... The woman with whom I spoke could only recommend outdoor climbing at Longtanhu Park--which I believe is also where the Temple of Heaven is? It's a little chilly still for that, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you wanting to climb indoors in Beijing, but haven't been able to find a place...

My friends and I often go to the Golden Resources Mall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Resources_Mall - halfway between the the northwestern corner of the 3rd ring road and the 4th ring road. It has a decent wall climb with maybe 5 routes. They're open most every day from 1pm to 7pm except Monday. Cost is 15rmb if you're climbing with partners and they can provide a harness and shoes. The wall is just south of the McDonalds in one of the main walking areas - you can't miss it.

I talked with the guy who runs it and it sounds like it should be open over the spring festival holidays. That said, I'm guessing it might be closed on Saturday (New Years eve).

Good climbing in the new year!

• 7 months later...

Hey everybody,

It's great to find the thread!! but it seems to me that that last text was posted such a long loooong time ago so I don't know if anyone of you is still in Beijing.

I just got enrolled to study at Tsinghua University and I plan to stay for the next two years. I did not that much of climbing back home but did quite a lot of trekking and mountaineering. If you're interested in climbing and you're presently here in Beijing - let me know

Olga