Chinese-Forums

Rock Climbing in Beijing

minipig

Update as to what I've found:

O'le Football/Soccer Complex, way southeast. Describing climbing facitilites: http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/sports/climbing_hiking/has/ole-climbing/ Maybe a better address: http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/sports/soccer/has/ole/ 50kuai-a-go, down to 38 with a 10-time card...they also have month-based memberships which get cheaper. Lots of bouldering, also have a top-roping wall.

Ritan Park I think it's 40kuai for a day pass, down to 24? with a 10-time card. Top-roping wall, a little bouldering, but super hard. I think this is also seasonal.

I've also heard the Geophysics? University up in Wudaokou has a wall, but I've never ventured up there myself--at least for the purpose of climbing. ;p

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

guys from the Chinese rockclimbing band invited me to join to their trip to Xiao Wutaishan on October. Does anybody know what the weather would be like?

Is it more like trekking and hiking or I can expect to find nice rock-climbing tracks?

By the way, does anybody know where I can buy harness and a sleeping bag near Wudaokou? (or anywhere in Beijing where the prices are friendly=))

Thank you!! =))

Hi

I'll be moving to Beijing in November, and plan to stay for 8 months :)

I climbed for 1½ year, but have had to neglect it the last year.. But I would love to start again in Beijing!

Can I join any of you? It's always more fun to have company :)

Does anyone know of a place where there are climbing instructors/classes?

Jette

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey i'm trying to get rid of a few kilos of climbing gear that never got used for a yangshuo trip (amazing place, beautiful hikes!). has anyone seen a place where i can put a poster / ad in the gyms here?

trying to sell some brand new Black Diamond Quickdraws (12cm), Quicksilver, light blue in color and a brand new Bluewater Accelerator 10.5mm x 60mm rope, with two layers of dry wall protection for outdoor use, tangy orange color :) Selling for cheap because my luggage really is overflowing...

PM me if interested or email me, leiming86 gmail com

cheers,

Zack

Hey folks,

does anybody know a climbing place in the north of beijing?

I live near tiantongyuanbei metro station and would really like to find a boulder bar or some rope climbing. Most other climbing places you have mentioned are quite far away to reach them after worktime.

Thanks a lot for help:D

Hi there guys,

At present there are several artificial climbing walls in Beijing.. here's a quick rundown:

Ole climbing: For my money the best spot in Beijing, if not the country.. features a massive bouldering area (indoor), 12m toprope and lead wall (indoor), dedicated slackline area, quality equipment to rent or buy, and qualified guides to make sure u stay safe or belay for u all day! also does courses and instruction.... can run into many expat climbers, locals, and national team members(!) here.. super friendly!

Address:5 Shimen Cun Rd. Baizi wan bridge East, East 4th ring road, Chaoyang, Beijing.

地址:朝阳区东四环中路百子湾桥东石门村路5号

Xidan bouldering wall: Small bouldering gym located underground in Xidan.. pretty cool and nice "hardcore" feel... probably the cheapest indoor place in Beijing, and host to a fun selection of local climbers...

Address: haha... get someone to take u there! Very hard to find....

Ni Ao Outdoor Centre: A big bouldering gym in an outdoor products shopping mall in the south of the city near Chongwenmen... also a bit hard to find...

For outdoor spots:

Beijing Geosciences Uni (largest wall)(Dida), Beijing Uni (Beida), Beijing Agricultural Uni (Nongda) all have climbing walls that are at various times/prices open to the public.

Also try Ritan park and Longtan park which both have large outdoor walls.

Ok, have fun, and climb on!

can you give just a bit more detail about the xidan wall? never heard of it ...

i've been to several of the outdoor walls but now with the weather it's time to turtle into indoor climbing again,

i've climbed at ole and the staff is really nice and the two walls are fun. there's football clubs and a ping pong table too to use for free when you climb there. just in a really difficult to get to location for those who live anywhere except the CBD.

anyways i'm looking for climbing partners as well as i need to shape up for an upcoming trip.

grandpa: Thanks for the information!

I think I will try out Ole and see if I can join a course there.

I'm not a student, so I don't I can join a Uni team..

Constantin and Jason Lee Wong: Lets meet up and try out a few walls together!

I arrive in Beijing on the 1st. I'll send you a mail when I'm ready for a climb!

ok, some more tips and directions!

To get to Ole Climbing:

Take the subway to Sihui station (line 1), cross the road to Sihui Bus Station. Get on bus no.495 and get off at the 2nd stop (bus station does not count). from the bus stop walk south on shi men cun rd. (石门村路)for about 150m until u see the five a side football pitches on your right. Ole climbing is inside this compound.

Alternatively u can take a bus directly or take a bus to Sihui station and change to the 495 there.

To get to Xidan:

Start from the Xidan subway station: Locate the massive Bank of China main office on the corner. walk to the crossroads at the North West corner of this building. Walk west along Middle Jingji Ave. (中京畿道)for about 200m until u arrive at the Malan Noodles restaurant on a corner on your right. On the North side of the Malan Noodles restaurant is the entrance to an office block (can also be entered thru the restaurant). Go in. The Xidan bouldering wall is in the lowest basement level of this office block.

These days i am mainly climbing at Ole, sometimes at Xidan....

Hope to c some of u guys there!

Thanks for the info!

My boyfriend and I are here in Beijing for awhile and looking to get outside. We are veteran rock climbers from Oregon (USA). Sadly, we didn't bring our rope, but have everything else.

Also, we are just interested in hanging out with other climbers.

What days of the week do people head to Ole? We currently climb at Ritan park now.

Let me know if you are interested in meeting climbing and drinking beer!

Kate

Hi!

well, i guess u won't have been climbing at Ritan today! (snowing!)

So at the moment Ole seems to be fairly busy most days after work, and pretty much all day on the weekend...

but it's pretty hard to predict who will show up when.. : )

weekdays before 5 r usually pretty quiet, in case a bit of peacefull sending is what u're after (and u aren't burdened with regular work hrs)!

One time when everyone will be there though is the 22nd of this month, when Ole will have it's one year anniversary party and climbing competition. This will be like the AGM of Beijings climbing community, and u will be able to meet pretty much anyone who has anything to do with climbing in Beijing...

...but i will post more details on this when they r released!

climb on!

• 1 month later...

ok, I used to do rock climbing, but havent done it for years and wasnt that good really when I actually did it. But I would love to go again, though for me it is only fun to go together with people - alone its a bit hard for me to get the motivation ;)

I work in the CBD and live around chaoyang park. Anyone interested to go together? If yes, please pm me