Chinese-Forums

Rock Climbing in Beijing

minipig

• 4 weeks later...

I moved to China from the Minneapolis, USA in August and im just starting to get into climbing here in china. I'm looking learn and climb as much as I can from other climbers here and looking for a group to meet up with occasionally at the wall, so email me if your interested in climbing together. haasx084gmailcom

A group would be a good idea. We could try and get some people together of all levels so we can learn and teach each other and have an all around good time. Ole is great so we can start meeting there for now. Im looking for about 2 or 3 times a week to meet, anyone interested? Three of us are meeting at Ole on Monday, January 11th at 6:30 if interested let me know.

haasx084gmailcom

andrew

Hi everyone! About instructors in rock-climbing/ice-climbing;

I Chinese friend of mine (ice-climber) adviced me to take training with an instructor, if I want to set out to big trips like Sichuan.

Here is a link

http://bbs.8264.com/thread-278972-1-1.html

Guys, does anyone know a place in Beijing, where I can find Petzl Aztar and Petzl Quark ice tools?

Does anyone want to sell them?

Thank you=)

• 4 weeks later...

I´ll be studying at CNU from April to October and apparently I won´t be the only one in Beijing who loves to go climbing. What do you pay for a harness in Beijing? I thought I´d bring my shoes but try to get the rest there...

How far is it to go rock climbing outside of Beijing?

Here are some prices for O'le Climbing as of Jan 28,2010:

All day pass - 50rmb

10 all day passes - 380rmb (Only good three months)

20 all day passes - 680rmb (Only good five months)

6 month membership - 1500

12 month membership - 2000

Shoe rental - 10rmb

Locker rental - 50rmb per month

Free harness and carabineer rental

They also sell climbing equipment like shoes, harnesses, chalk-bags, clothing and canteens.

The best way to get there is take the subway to Sihui station on Line 1. Use 'Exit A' and cross below the bridge directly outside of the subway exit. After crossing the road you get to Sihui Bus Station (an outdoor area of about 50 different bus terminals) take a right and walk almost all the way to the end of the row of busses. Look at the top of each bus stop and you will see the numbers of the busses above. Get on bus no.495 and get off at the 2nd stop (takes about 15-30 minutes depending on traffic - 5:30 to 6:30pm is insanely bad). From the bus stop walk south on shi men cun rd. (石门村路) for about 150m until you see football fields on your right. Continue strait and you should see the O'le climbing building a little farther down on the left. Use the map for the best idea where to go from the bus stop. The location on Google maps is incorrect, so I have made correct map below:

Here is the map from their website with street names:

Additionally here is the address:

5 Shimen Cun Rd. Baizi wan bridge East, East 4th ring road, Chaoyang, Beijing. 地址:朝阳区东四环中路百子湾桥东石门村路5号

Taxi drivers have trouble finding this place, so best of luck. Be sure to have a map printout to show them.

Duncan and I have been climbing pretty regularly at O'le for the past month, so if anyone else is interesting in joining, contact one of us. My email is haasx084@gmail.com.

O'LE Climbing Wall.pdf

3026_thumb.attach

3027_thumb.attach

Harnesses run for about 350rmb+ I think. I bought mine in the US and brought it here so I haven’t really paid attention at the price to closely.

As for climbing outside of Beijing - Miyun is an amazing area, about 1.5 - 2 hours way. I have gone hiking there 4 times and ice climbed there in December, it’s really nice. I’ve heard it called the Yosemite of China several times by other climbers here. Further south in China is Yangshuo, which I’ve heard is pretty awesome as well, and I’ve seen it featured in several rock climbing documentaries.

If anyone is interested, I have about 30 .avi rock climbing films on a hard drive that I can give out if you head over to O’le, just let me know to bring it along and we can transfer them onto your laptop when we climb. haasx084@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading the posts and am too keen to get back into Climbing here in Beijing. I haven't climbed since I moved here in August and am missing it bad!! I tried to go to the exbear climbing wall that seems to be near ole wall a few months after I arrived but it seemed closed and I didn't even get to see their wall!

I can't leave work tomorrow (Monday) until about 5pm, and thats over in Haidian so I don't know if I can make it tomorrow. Will anyone being heading from the subway station to the wall at around 6/6.30pm? I was wondering if anyone fancied a sunday afternoon climb today? email me sam0706 at gmail dot com.

Not sure if I'll be able to make Thursday at the moment, but I'll try. Anyone up for a Wednesday or Friday evening climb this week? I haven't been to the wall yet in Beijing, so am hoping someone fancies meeting at the nearby subway station? -I'm useless at following directions!

hey my name ist steffen i'm new here in beijing. i'm searching for people/group they climb here in Beijing. I would be glad to meet anyone of you. maybe you have fixed dates to climb/bouldering. in your past massages, i read that anyone of you climbs in ole... maybe there.

about me; i'm come from germany, 23 year old and study architecture in the cafa university in beijing.

tomorrow i fly to tokio but 14.03 i'm back ;-)

bye Steffen