Chinese-Forums

《夜宴》The Banquet

Quest

According to director Feng Xiaogang: "If Hamlet is about a prince who must make a choice involving life and death, then The Banquet is about how each character must face a choice of life or death... All are motivated by desire, but as soon as they have begun their plans must grow more extreme, and they move step-by-step towards the abyss... They do not intend evil, but turn to it out of self-preservation and ever-growing ambition."

Director Feng's understanding of Hamlet is overly simplistic, if he thinks it's just about Hamlet choosing between life and death. Since he's known for his holiday period light comedies, he might not be up for a serious drama. It might just be another in a long line of movies about "desire...ambition...evil."

• 3 months later...

Trailers -> http://www.thebanquetthemovie.com/ (under promos / 好戲連場)

I saw trailer No. 2 at a cinema today and it gave me a very good impression. The overseas trailer is also good. Nice singing. Trailer No. 1 is weaker IMHO.

The lyrics in the song in the overseas trailer is an ancient (pre-Qin Dynasty) poem "越人歌" ->

今兮何夕兮,搴洲中流。

今日何日兮,得與王子同舟。

蒙羞被好兮,不訾詬恥。

心幾煩而不絕兮,得知王子。

山有木兮木有枝,心悅君兮君不知。

Here is a translation in modern Chinese ->

今天是甚麼樣的日子啊!我駕着小舟在江水中流。

今天是甚麼樣的日子啊!我竟然能與王子同船,

承蒙王子看得起啊!不嫌棄我,

我的心如此的熱切,居然看到了王子!

山上有樹木,而樹上有樹枝,〈這人人都知道〉,

可是我的心這麼喜悅於見到王子,王子卻不知。 (source)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished watching this... I'm kinda confused. I'm not exactly sure what happened at the end there... if someone would like to explain it to me, that'd be great! I thought the movie was alright, but there were a lot of confusing parts. The cinematography didn't make much sense to me. There were many shots that didn't seem to fit in with the dialogue or what was going on with the story. The intro was awesome, and I was hooked, but it seemed to just go down-hill from there.

All-in-All, I give this one a 6 out of 10.

Youshen

All-in-All, I give this one a 6 out of 10.

I'd give it about the same. It's a bit like the other "大片"'s that have been made by other famous director recently. The indivduals parts (acting, music, cinematography ...etc) just didn't add up.

I wish they would just read dozens of scripts until they could find a really compelling story that wouldn't even need 古装 or special effects.

• 4 months later...

Watched it finally, I am as confused as everybody else. But Outofin, I think this makes sense: http://www.cnmdb.com/ent/810492

Out of curiousity, the Emperor's accent; what accent is it or rather which province is it from? I like it, sounds rather civilised, and posh to my untrained ears !

They all speak with the same accent, in different manners.

SPOILER below. sorry.

Quest, I wrote more since last time. I thought it was the prince who killed the queen. I explained it exhausively in my post (long, and in Chinese, so I figure it's not appropriate to post it here.)

http://www.ting-shuo.com/viewtopic.php?t=335

But I could accept the official explanation from the producer. Well, I guess I don't mind what's in the original script. I guess I wished the prince survived.