Chinese-Forums

renting in beijing - the foreigner rental tax

onebir

its the same as with all other fapiaos. When you buy something in an electronics shop, they will make you pay 5% extra if you want a fapiao. Thats the additional cost. I registered in an apartment recently that the landlord is not paying the 5% tax for, so far no problems.

its the same as with all other fapiaos. When you buy something in an electronics shop, they will make you pay 5% extra if you want a fapiao. Thats the additional cost. I registered in an apartment recently that the landlord is not paying the 5% tax for, so far no problems.

Except that there's no fapiao involved, nor does he want one. He probably doesn't know what one is. IF he was looking for a fapiao so he could claim rent back from his employer and the landlord said "I'll need to pay tax to get that, so you'll need to cover that extra cost . . ." then it would be the same.

Same thing is happening in Harbin now too.

• The owner should pay 5% tax no matter who is renting

• The tax is paid to a different authority and a receipt is given that should be shown to the police when registering as proof

• If the owner is foreign or out of the country they may not require this receipt

• Chinese renters usually don't pay this as it's hard to prove that they're renting

I've had various suggestions: (Though as an upstanding visitor I would never recommend them - of course)

• Suggest a "second" contract with a much lower rate, 5% of a low rate is also very little tax

• Confuse the police, enough confusion can make paperwork just flow

• Claim you are a friend and living for free, not paying rent, also requires different paperwork <-- often not an option due to the paperwork

Oh, the interrogation sounds interesting... Last time I got caught it went more along these lines...

And the house owner was in America.

Local Police) You need to register

Me) Really?

Local Police) Yes, but it's too late, 8 months too late, you'll need to take bus XX to ??? Police Station and pay a 300元 or 500元 fine I can't remember. They may not be able give you the form since the home owner is not with you, you'll need to speak with them about it.

Me) Ok...

* 1 bus trip later *

Me) I need this form so I can register

Distant Police) I was about to go to lunch, can you wait?

Me) I'm really in a rush

Distant Police) That will be 500元, fill out this

Me) That's a bit much, I heard it was only 300元

Distant Police) Ok, 300元 then. You may have some trouble when you get to the police station as the home owner is not with you.

* Fills out form and gives money *

Distant Police) Here you go, here's my business card, if you have any problems, call me anytime.

Me) Thanks a lot

* 1 more bus trip later and a trip to the police station and all done *

Easy as, and all quite friendly, and ... I even got away with no home owner or Id. They both assumed it was each others problem. But as long as it's not a problem for me, there is no problem.

• Like 1