Chinese-Forums

1,000,000 Dictionary Editors?? Good idea? bad idea?

geek_frappa

Because somebody made some very good dictionaries before you already, and I don't mean that THEY can just satisfy and stop there, but they have the money and background to make their dictionaries better.

you make a good point.

i know. my dictionary is terrible. :lol:

but this new dictinonary would be real-time and current. including items, names and places that PhDs may have not care about...

besides, do you believe everything you read?

for example, in some Chinese dictionaries there is no reference to Chinese women authors or African countries or even Africa ... some dictionaries still say tawain is a province of china. :)

a dictionary where everyone can add their definitions may introduce a much richer gathering of information, including words that old people don't use.

instead of having 2 editors to do 1000 words per month.

you can have 500 editors who add 4 words per month.

also, decentralizing the dictionary would include more dialects and more people who are ignored in the "very good dictionaries".

You are discuss the dictionary like dmoz.com? I am a editor in dicitionary in dmoz.org, I'd love yo jion you dictionary editor group when your dictionary was bulit.:)

so i would never trust the dict. since your spelling certainly had some mistakes...

You are discuss the dictionary like dmoz.com? I am a editor in dicitionary in dmoz.org' date=' I'd love yo jion you dictionary editor group when your dictionary was bulit.:)[/quote']

so i would never trust the dict. since your spelling certainly had some mistakes...

Glass houses. :!:

You are discuss the dictionary like dmoz.com? I am a editor in dicitionary in dmoz.org' date=' I'd love yo jion you dictionary editor group when your dictionary was bulit.:)[/quote']

? u mean i did make also lots of mistakes? sure, but i'm just an english as third language learner, not an editor, my english building is just under construction, isnt it?

? u mean i did make also lots of mistakes? sure' date=' but i'm just an english as third language learner, not an editor, my english building is just under construction, isnt it?[/quote']

you should never trust anything you don't write yourself. different people have different spellings for the same word anyways...

we are all one-word laoshi. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's not a bad idea. If there are enough regular visitors to your site, people would check and correct each others submissions. Wikipedia is an excellent example of a site that is made up from material written by its visitors which still manages to have high-quality content.

What package would you use to write your website? MySQL?

I'm thinking I might do an interactive online word dictionary too, for English-Hakka Chinese and Hakka-English. There's only one available on the internet at the moment I think.

I think it's not a bad idea. If there are enough regular visitors to your site' date=' people would check and correct each others submissions. Wikipedia is an excellent example of a site that is made up from material written by its visitors which still manages to have high-quality content.

What package would you use to write your website? MySQL?

I'm thinking I might do an interactive online word dictionary too, for English-Hakka Chinese and Hakka-English. There's only one available on the internet at the moment I think.[/quote']

hmm... so, maybe i can write the webware, so you can focus on the Hakka. my goal is to provide this dictionary tool in as many formats as possible.

for example,

the Chinese Romanzation Tool reads from a Text File

http://www.primezero.com/en/kelvin1.php

the Chinese Number Converter is purely PHP and Images...

http://chinese.primezero.com/pzcdz/about.html#number

so, similar modules would also be self-contained.

the dictionary tool (a total mess right now) is PHP/MySQL/JavaScript.