Chinese-Forums

武林外传 My Own Swordsman

赫杰

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Is there much advantage in watching them in order? I picked up a 3-dvd set with (I think) 61-80 on yesterday and watched a couple without feeling I was missing anything, but if it's important I could hold off till I get hold of the first ones.

Hmmm, I think I'll keep an eye open for the full set, but keep going with what I've got for now. Would be better to start from the beginning, but as far as I can see I'm not missing any epic story arcs.

Anyway, I'm off to 替天行道!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying this, will definitely be picking up the entire set if I happen across it. Some of the stuff cracks me up, and even the duller bits are enjoyable enough to have on in the background. For some reason my favorite gag so far is the visual one about a minute into this clip - 小贝 is probably my favorite character.

How much have you seen Imron?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here, and last year i saw this series and really enjoyed it.

It's nice if u can see it from beginning, it's kind of like soap opera and most of the episodes can be understood separately.

It's interesting the author used "古文诗句" to name every episode like a "章回小说" .

Furthermore, I really like the names of the characters in it. They're all made up from some "武侠小说", like 白玉汤 is after 白玉堂, 佟湘玉 is after 金湘玉......

They are living in the ancient time but acting or talking like what we do nowaday, and u can hear some different kind of accents which make it more funny. :lol:

Oh, i'm a girl, so my favorite is 老白, then 吕秀才, then 佟掌柜。 偶地神阿!

• Thanks 1

I liked the episodes when 佟湘玉 was feuding with 金湘玉 - I've only seen the last twenty or so shows, but that was probably my favorite storyline. I remember 小六's “掌柜的,别难过。每个人都不一样。她有她的长处, 你有你的短处。” Or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the first eight DVDs of this today, so that's my collection complete. I've watched the final three and liked it enough to figure it's worth going through from the start. Don't think I spoiled it too much by watching stuff in the wrong order, but it's nice to go back and see how people like Huilan turn up. Favorite moment is still the visual 招财猫 gag though.

• 4 months later...

I've now technically watched all of this, although large chunks of it have been on in the background while doing other stuff and I wouldn't want to be quizzed too closely on the plot of a lot of episodes. Consistently good considering its 80 episode run though, and I'd certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a comedy that's actually funny.

I'm sure I'm not getting plenty of the jokes - sometimes stuff is just happening too fast, and sometimes I'm pretty sure they're referencing or taking the mickey out of books or movies or something, but I'm not sure what.

I watched like 2 episodes when I was in Pingyao and they cheered me up so much. Yes I like the series very much (based on the 2 episodes that I've watched). It's like the good old days when Stephen Chow was till doing TV drama ......

Yay, Skylee likes it! It must be good. Which episodes did you see?

I went pretty long periods without watching any - it's not like it's very plot-driven and ending on cliff-hangers, so it's easy to take long breaks.

Which episodes did you see?

That episode when 西門吹雪 tries hard to get killed by the little girl, bringing with him cigerates, lighters, vitamin pills of different flavours, etc. And that episode when the little girl has to run the inn to earn 3 teals in order to win a bet with her aunt, and has to make everyone perform (and a laptop computer appears here I think) to attract customers.

Don't recall that first one at all, although I might if I saw the episode. I remember the one where 小贝 takes over though.

They quite often do things like having laptops turn up, references to modern stuff, but it's not so frequent it gets annoying. There's also one episode where 小贝 wakes up in modern times, with the inn turned into a tourist attraction, which is actually quite fun. I also remember the line from 郭芙蓉, though I can't remember who to:

你的眼睛在泛光哎,这就是传说中的隐形眼镜吗?