Chinese-Forums

Pimsleur Wordlist - here!

flameproof

I finished now Pimsleur lessons 1-90. That's not end of my Mandarin study, it's more the beginning of REAL learning.

I also did my own wordlist for those 90 lessons. I found only 2 on the www:

http://marcelnijman.demon.nl/mandarin/pimsleur/

Quite OK, has the beginning sentences of all chapter, but not all words, specially from course II and III

And...: http://www.ezmandarin.com

They have only the beginning sentences

My list (in Excel format) should have all words, sorted by lessons. A few notes:

> I left out all place names and street names (Beijing, Boston, Long Peace St. etc.)

> I left out higly irrelevant terms (like "Mudan", and the Lu in Lu dòu gāo - rest should be OK)

> The few blank spaces have no meaning (mainly words entered double by accident)

> There may be a few errors

> The characters are mainly from Marcels site, and from the ZDT dictionary.

If you find an error, please let me know.

Pimsleur_mandarin.xls

Looksl ike a fair amount of work, nice.

Have you thought about passing this along to the guy who runs ZDT - they could maybe convert it into compatible flashcard files, and Pleco might also be interested.

A couple of queries after a quick scan of the sheet -

Spacing in the pinyin could perhaps be more consistent - eg:

kā fēi tīng 咖啡厅 café VS

kāfējiān 咖啡间 coffee room

and it wouldn't be normal to have the space in tā men

35 liǎng ge dō - should be dōu

44 bă zhège gĕi 把这个给 could - english should be 'give this to . . .'

Minor stuff though. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am aware that the spacing is not consistant. That's because I started with leaving spaces (since it's easier to read for me), but later simply copied from ZDT, which does not leave spaces.

Thanks for pointing out the few error. I am sure there are a few more. I will correct them as the arrive and put an update in once in a while.

BTW, the numbers in front are the lessons. The page should print sideways/landscape, and the page length is 45 cells.

A few corrections I noticed after scanning through it. Hai shi should be 还是, wo a should be 我啊, 那条路 for which road should be 哪条路, shi lai de should be xie 写. For change it should be zhao and not jiao. I think you're confusing shăo and xiăo. Shăo means few

/little/lack of and is basically the opposite of 多 meaning much. Xiăo means little. They do sound very similar though.

Just little things really, its a useful list. Especially since I haven't finished Pimsleur yet. :)

待到 is stay until but I don't know if it should be 待 or 呆? They both seem to mean 'stay' in my dictionary..

Thank you for your excellent word list. Before I tryed to make one, but gave it up!

Chinese character is available here?

45 ---> 今年

52 ---> ma3 shang4 jiu4 马上就 right now

62 ---> dai4 dao4 待到 until

72 ---> da3 lai2 de 打来的 called

63 ---> nali nali does not meen thank you. It meens you are welcome or not at all.

And tone of "na" is not 2. It is "na3 li".

Though Real pronounce is na2 li, but every book says na3 li.

I wanted to know why and I found very old thread In this forum

titled "neuter-tone syllables and tone-shift".

I have made a few changes and the original file is updated.

XiaoXi

Thanks for sending me the corrected file. However, when the changes are not marked then searching for the changes becomes a bit too much for me.

chomey

That way is better, with the lesson number, and the change.

Go on and find more errors!

PS: Making the list is not SUCH a big thing. Per lesson you have 3-10 new words. Just keep on writing them down.

Sorry, I made a mistake above about the meaning of nali nali (No. 63).

Na li Na li means Modesty Expression of "No, No".

(real meaning is Where? where?)

您普通话说的很好。哪里哪里。

You speak Chinese very well. No, no. --- modesty

Great list flameproof! If people want to use the spreadsheet right away with the ZDT, they'll need to swap the character and the pinyin columns. Then you can copy and paste them directly into the program.

Roddy - Does Pleco have an import/export file format? If so, do you know what it looks like?

Chris

"XiaoXi

Thanks for sending me the corrected file. However, when the changes are not marked then searching for the changes becomes a bit too much for me."

Ok but since I actually made the changes in the actual file anyway, why do you need to know where they are?

Xiao Xi

Few more:

1 ma 吗 (frage) - frage?

6 wǒ nár 我那儿 my place - tone on na(4)

6 guò huì r 过一会儿 later - missing yi from pinyin

15 gěi wǒ de for me - characters missing

18 bǎi 一百 100 - missing yi from pinyin

and then I lost interest . . .

Thanks for the info Roddy and Gato.

It has been on my wishlist before, but this thread actually inspired me to go out and order PlecoDict for my Axim x50. I've played around with it for a little bit and so far its been great.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that I just created a very simple ZDT plugin that enables you to export your ZDT wordlists into the PlecoDict file format. You can download it from here. Just drop it into your zdt/plugins directory and you should be good to go.

Sorry flameproof for hijacking your thread. :)

Chris

A quick note on the format - if you just specify the characters it will fill in the pinyin and definition for you. However, it won't necessarily get it right, it'll just use the first (or most common?) entry with those characters. This can cause minor issues if characters have more than one pronunciation or definition.

bogleg - great work on that export plugin! Would it be OK with you if we link to it from our dictionary add-ons page? I'm sure there are other ZDT-using Plecophiles who would find it useful. We're planning to add a lot of new options in the Pleco 2.0 (most of which will be available as a free upgrade) flashcard import system, but this same format should still work.