Chinese-Forums

Shanghai's Top 40 wheaten snacks restaurrants

Gary Soup

I've been having great fun going through a poll posted on various websites and blogs in China, ranking the 40 most recommended places for "small eats" of the wheat-based variety in Shanghai. I really wish I had found it before my recent trip to Shanghai, but it's providing me with some good research for my next trip.

One posting of the poll results is here:

http://food.846.cn/2006/1-7/192755.html

Everything I have found about this poll is in Chinese, and I am pretty much limited to machine translation and Wenlin in making sense about it, and hope someone can help me with a couple of questions.

1) What was the source of this poll? It seems to use a rating system similar to dianping.com's but the individual ratings are different from dianping's.

2) It appears to be in ranked order, but I haven't quite figured out the ranking methodology; the number one establishment, for example, has a slightly lower rating for "taste" than at least one other contender. Was there a formula involved, or is it just stratified by the total number of positive mentions?

Thanks

There is a site about shanghai restaurants that might interest you, have you seen it?

I have seen it. It's a pretty good sized list, but really gives no info for most other than name and address. A more useful one (partly) in English, especially for snack foods, is this one:

http://www2.cn-dot.com/linker/cat141.html

• 2 weeks later...