Chinese-Forums

Website Theft! Call the Cops!

liuzhou

Some bugger has lifted my entire website!

I run a little website at www.liuzhou.co.uk and today came across www.mylz.cn which is 100% identical!

What I can't work out is why!

They are not poaching anyone who tries to contact me. The contact me function doesn't work in their version. As far as I can see, Google Ads still send their few cents in my direction every now and again. My antivirus software ain't complaining!

Is there something I am missing?

EDITED to correct link.

I notice you managed to get in and put some text on their home page.

If it were me, I'd cripple it completely.

I assume that they liked the look of your own site, and swiped it with the intention of going through it and changing the text; easier than writing their own HTML.

How did you find it?

How did you find it?

They were half way through transferring it and some of the links still pointed to the real website (in fact, some still do.) so it turned up on my referrers list.

I am on their trail. Managed to find their ISP. Unfortunately,the usual tracking methods don't work so well in China.

your website looks to be down. i don'tsee how they can copy a non-existant website

The site is not down! I'm looking at it now. It hasn't been down for over a month. I get real time stats. That's how I found these idiots.

EDIT: In my fury, I mistyped the URL. Should be www.liuzhou.co.uk

That is some scary story! Do you have any idea who could be behind this? It looks to me as if someone really wants to get at you personally or not? I would consider finding out where they host their website and contact that company with a complaint. This may work...

I would consider finding out where they host their website and contact that company with a complaint. This may work...

Well, of course, that is what I am trying to do. But not so easy to track them down.

Click on the 'ads by gooooooogle' link on the adsense blocks and file a complaint with Google that way, probably the best way of hurting them. Shame they didn't leave the images on your server, or you could have done what I did to the idiots linked in my sig. . .

Man, they really are dense, but frankly the people who do this usually aren't the brightest. However you should still let Adsense know - there's a danger that on the Adsense side of things it will look as if the site is associated with you, and that could cause issues later on if they do something else stupid. A quick 'nothing to do with me' email might be useful to refer to later on.

The hosts xinnet are a major firm - they may or may not have procedures in place for this kind of thing. I wouldn't expect a result, but if you have a legal presence in China which could concievably sue them a phone call might work. Could be more hassle than it's worth though.

Thanks Roddy! I'm off to bed! Been a hard day! Will take up your advice and call them in the morning!

At the moment they are doing me no direct harm but...

But it's damned annoying, and they've got absolutely no right to do it. There's a plethora of cookie-cutter sites based on Wikipedia, copy and pastes of other sites, and any old rubbish that's available and they're a scourge on the internet as far as I'm concerned. Add no value and clog the place up, making life a lot harder for anyone who's actually trying to write original, useful content. Which I'm not.

Roddy