Chinese-Forums

Western food you miss

adrianlondon

I am very sure that Swedish Fish and other candy can be found at the foriegn foods supermarkets in Beijing.

Venture, I have never had Thanksgiving away from home, but I can already tell that no matter how good the food at the hotel is, it will be nothing like eating at home with family and close friends. In my family Thanksgiving is a 4-5 day affair where lots of people not only come over, but stay over for a few days. So Saturday or Sunday marks the end of the holiday, and man does it get depressing then...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious about southern China.......what's NOT to be found in the markets in YUNNAN, for example. Those living in and around KUNMING: what tasty treats and normal food from 'back home' can you not find at all or with great difficulty ?

Are dinner rolls, french/italian loaves, bagette, multigrain or whole grain bread hard/impossible to find ?

Single item I miss most: Gyros - or greek food in general. But others you can make at home, Gyros you can not.

I do make real italian type pizza at home, have a special pizza oven for that. With self cooking you can do many things.

And off course, good bread! One of the best things that chinese can not do is good bread. That comes right next to driving cars.

Oddly enough, soymilk. I can't drink normal milk, and the doujiang here leaves something to be desired. I'm very picky when it comes to my soymilk, which I didn't really like that much in the US. Now that i'm in Beijing, I would kill for a bottle of Silk vanilla flavored soymilk...

• 2 weeks later...
Those living in and around KUNMING: what tasty treats and normal food from 'back home' can you not find at all or with great difficulty ?

Are dinner rolls, french/italian loaves, bagette, multigrain or whole grain bread hard/impossible to find ?

I think you can get good breads from Carrefoure and Wicker Basket in Kunming.

There is also a French cafe near Yunnan University. You can find almost everything there. Good Mexican was still pretty scarce when I was there 2 yrs ago.