Chinese-Forums

"Foreign Expert" requirements

mandarinstudent

I'm so grateful for the information given to me regarding the cost of living and peace and order in Luoyang City. Thank you so much! How about the minimum rate of electricity and water per month? How much is the cost of phone card in calling outside China?

As far as I've learned, FEC is use in converting money to foreign currency, is it very easy to do it? Can we do the transfer through the bank or to a private money transfer like Western Union? Is there any International money transfer services in Luoyang City?

The first time I came to China, I used an F visa and I prepared two plane ticketshow about the working visa, shall we prepare one-way plane ticket only or we'll prepare two ways?

Hope to hear further information regarding these matters. Thanks!

Depending on the bank/school, converting currency can either be really easy, or a real hassle. Although it's possible to convert a certain amount every month, I used to just save it all up, and convert whatever I had left at the end of my contract. Assuming you can convert 70% per month (which seems to be quite standard), at the end of a 12 month contract you can convert up to 70% of 12 times your monthly salary.

To convert it, you need to go to a large branch of the bank of china, and you will to take 1) your passport, 2) your foreign expert certificate (make sure your school has filled in your monthly salary and the percentage of salary you're allowed to convert, as well as stamped it with the school seal), 3) a copy of your contract (also stamped with the school seal to prove it's a valid copy), 4) a letter from the school asking the bank to let you exchange RMB to foreign currency. Depending on the bank, you may or may not need all of the above, but that's what I used to have to use.

I'm not sure about transferring foreign currency using Western Union, as I've never had the need to do so. I'm also not sure about water and electricity, as utilities were paid for by the school I worked at - you might find that this will be the case for you as well. In any event, it won't be very expensive.

For calling outside of China, I would recommend skype, but phonecards are also reasonably cheap and usually come in 50RMB and 100RMB varieties. How long that will last you, depends on the country that you will be calling.

As for plane tickets, I guess it's really up to you, but you mind want to consider that a return ticket is usually cheaper than buying two one-way tickets.

FEC? What are you reading?

FECs were done away with more than ten years ago!

The school should normally provide electricity and water as part of your accommodation package.

FEC - Foreign Expert Certificate - last I heard they will still in use :-)

But when I first read this, I also thought the OP was talking about Foreign Exchange Certificates, which unfortunately have the same acronym, and as you correctly pointed out, haven't been in use for years.

Thank you so much imron and to those who replied my querries!

Thats also my fear if the immigration officer or the check-in officer at the airport question on my entry having only one way ticket.What I believe, only those coming to China with an L visa must prepare the return ticket,but those who'll stay longer might only prepare one. Well, anyway, the information given to me to present those documents, incase there'll be such happening on too much scrutinizing my entry, might help a lot to convince the veracity of my purpose in coming to China. Once again, thanks for the information!

With regards to my accommodation, its fully furnished apartment, but water and electricity are not included. Well, maybe negotiations can be done when I'll be there, hopefully. If they won't agree with me, I think it's just fine, anyway, you said, its not so expensive in Luoyang City.

Thanks!

Hello!

Could you please tell me about the temperature in Luoyang City, Henan Province during Winter? Is it really cold there? Are the prices of winter clothes expensive?

Have you heard Western Union money transfer services in this city?

Hope to hear from you again.Thank you!

If you do plan on using Western Union (西连), you should call the branches to make sure they actually offer Western Union's services. They seem to list a lot of post offices on their website, but many times there will only be one post office in the city you can actually do Western Union at. The hours you can do Western Union may be different than the actual hours of the post office/bank as well.

Also, you can't fix the exchange rate sending money to China (like you can sending money to other countries). Apparently it is against Chinese government policy.

Sending money from China shouldn't be a problem. I've known people that have done it. The fees are kind of high though.

• 4 weeks later...

The school sent the contract issued by the SAFEA, official invitation letter and working permit to process the Chinese Z visa before entering China. Few days after my arrival, the school confronted me that the proper authorities can't give me the foreign expert's certificate because of the inconsistent entry of my medical result from my home country. Is this a valid reason that they cant really give me such certificate? What opinion or advice can you suggest? Since ,I wasnt granted a FEC ,is it really the reason that I can't work to this school? The school principal said Henan Province especially this city is very strict when it comes to the legalities of documents.

Since, I am holding a Chinese Z visa from my country, is it possible for me to work for another school? Granting that I can find another school to teach at, do you think this visa is still useful? As far I know ,the school must facilitate the residence permit and FEC application after 30 days of arrival ,what if I cant find another job after 30 days? Do I need to change this visa or what?

Hello guys, anyone who know about this matter, please give me your ideas and information.

Thanks!

I would try to find out more what they mean by an "inconsistent entry on your medical test". Were there parts that weren't filled in? Were you missing hard-copies of blood-test results? Did you bring your chest x-ray? Did the doctor in your home country who performed the medical stamp and sign the form?

All of these are reasons I have seen for medical exams that were conducted overseas being rejected.

That being said, it should be no problem (although obviously frustrating) just to take the tests again locally. I've done the medical exam twice in China, and there were no problems or issues with it. Also, this is something your school should probably pay for. Your school has expended a lot of effort to get you out to China (the paperwork to the Z visa/invitation letters is a pain), and so presumably they would want you to stay if it was at all possible.

So first of all, I would speak with the school about getting the medical exam done locally, because if you can do that, it's the simplest way to solve your problem, and it works out well for all concerned.

Thanks for your reply!

Before having the official invitation letter and working permit, I sent them all the copies of the results of my medical exam namely:chest x-ray,HIV and Hepa, Urine test and ECG.Together with these results, are the medical from the Chinese Embassy duly signed and stamped by the examining physician and another sheet of medical form stating that I am physical fit.

The inconsistencies are found in the medical Chinese form(Physical Exam record for Foreigner)..first,the convertion of my height from feet to centimeter is not correct..It looks that I seem very tall to have a 1.72cm height, the fact I am only 1.5cm. Second, is the suggestion/recommendation at the back..the physician wrote, "For correction of error & refraction, otherwise, physically fit"....This statement, I think its because of my eyesight ,I cant see in far distance, so when the examination was done, of course it was obviously detected.

Does this medical form still needed in getting the FEC, though, I have to take another medical examination here?

My employer seems very afraid about this inconsistencies because they might be taken a legal action for not screening this document well. They said the authorities and police in this city are very strict.Maybe my employer doesnt want any trouble at all, because they are about to be evaluated before the year ends. So, she negotiated me about this by giving or reimbursing all the cost of my coming here. They are part of this happening because I wont be coming here,had it known there will be such problem occuring, after getting all the legal documents in order to come and teach.

So, if they can't fix this, is their any possibility to have a job using this z visa? They said, it maybe cancelled and change to L or F visa because I am no longer working with them.

Any idea on this? Thanks!!!

If the school is unwilling to try again and have the tests done locally (a much cheaper option for them than reimbursing your expenses in coming over here), then you will almost certainly need to have your visa changed to an F/L visa. The 30-day limit on getting the paperwork is enforced quite well, so if you don't have your residence permit sorted out by then, or a new visa issued, then you will be fined for every day over this.

If you find another school that will take you, then will probably need to get all the tests done locally anyway, as the new school will also need valid paperwork to get you your residence permit (unless the new school gets you an F visa, in which case the residence permit is not neccessary).

How long has it been since you entered the country?

Thanks imron for more information!

I just came here last week, October 26,2006. That's why I'm trying my best to find means on what to do next. When I asked the school yesterday ,they told me there's no other option for this because they might question the veracity of the first document they submitted in getting the working permit and official letter of invitation for my Z visa processing. Im not sure for this ,whether they just dont like to ask the issuing authority to keep their good reputation or they just dont like to continue hiring me.

So, I think something must be done for this before 30 days, to avoid having a penalty everyday.

So, I think something must be done for this before 30 days, to avoid having a penalty everyday.

Yes. If the school is adamant that they cannot/don't want to get you the correct documentation, then you will need to leave and the school should arrange to have your visa changed before you do so. If possible try to get an F visa, and try to get it for as long as possible. This will give you extra time to look for other work if that is what you are interested in doing.

It might be difficult to find other teaching work at this time of year, because the school semester has already been going a couple of months, however it is not impossible, and private schools will probably be your best bet.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to contact your embassy about this situation and ask for their guidance.

Although this must be a real hassle for you, at least the school is being nice about it and reimbursing you your costs. So it would seem that you'll just have to take the money, and chalk it up to experience. At least you're in good company though - NASA has lost space-ships due to errors in metric/imperial conversion :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the information and suggestion.At least, I can figure it out which best for me to do.

Is it possible to change my Z visa to F here in China or in the local city? F visa needs an invitation from a school or a company, I think. What if the school wont/cant give me such invitation, can I do it myself?

Any more opinion/ suggestion?

Unfortunately I've not encountered anyone in your exact situation before, so I can't really give you any precise information on this. I imagine the school will need to go and get your visa changed (or rather it will be changed by the PSB when they realise you can't get the correct documentation). I'm not sure what the school will be able to change it to, but you should speak with them and find out what the next step will be.