Chinese-Forums

Need advice on what to charge for private English lessons

magores

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give....

I have seen other people mention rates ranging from 100RMB to 250RMB per hour.

My question is: is this rate for a single adult? or multiple people, no matter the age?

If it helps, the reason for my question...

The mother of one of my current students (at a "training school") handed me a letter today. She is offering this situation:

- 4 students (I currently have between 6-20 students in my regular classes, so this is no problem at all. I have known one of the children, and the parents, for 6 months or so. They even live in my apartment complex.)

- Ages 6 and 7 (My regular "at work" classes range from 3 years old to 11 yrs old, so this age is not a problem.)

- "Home English Training Team" (aka.. private tutor)

- My choice of time and day(s)

- Located in Beijing

(There are details to work out, of course... English speaking? Reading? Grammar? Writing? All?)

So, I guess, ultimately, my question is...

Based on these details, and knowing what I know, so far... What seems like a fair price to you?

Thanks

Magores

I don't have specific advice on rates, but I do think the price range you've suggested is correct. The thing is, don't under-value yourself. For this job, you are a skilled person and a valuable resource for those parents, and your time is worth a premium.

So I'd suggest that you consider what your time would be worth in your home currency, then maybe add 50%! How does that work out?

If you're still not happy specifying the price, give them a high price and say: "I believe the going rate is bla bla, but I am open to your suggestion". They'll haggle you down. They won't think you're a greedy American, I'm sure.

I would say 150Y is the current going rate. If you actually want the work I'd ask for 200Y and be prepared to come down to 150Y. If you are willing to walk away from it ask for 250Y and see what happens . . .

Then again, if it's work you can do very easily (due to it being local, and you've already got materials / lesson plans) from your day job, you could maybe knock a bit off that.