Chinese-Forums

Who's going to BNU for 07/2006?

adrianlondon

I study right next to SOAS, at UCL. My best friend's flatmate did Chinese and Management at SOAS, she's just graduated. She went to the BNU as well - and had a blast of a time. Yay.

I, on the other hand, am going to BLCU.. leaving tomorrow! Eeeeep. *scared*

That is one thing of the things I have been trying to focus on before leaving. Listening and character writing. I feel my characters are quite childlike and I need to make them prettier as well as increase my writing speed if I want to survive out there!

Well we'll all be in the same building at the same time. I bet at least a couple of us will be in the same class. We should definately sort out a place where we talk about how difficult it is :).

I am in two minds about the test after enrolment, should I study and get into a higher class that might be a little advanced or not study and maybe miss out on all I could have become....

I am leaving about 10days before enrolment to get climatised, in a hotel

Hi KF,

Good to see another footy fan here.. but not quite enough here for a five-a-side team just yet.. :D

Mind telling me which hotel you booked? We're looking for some temp accomodation whilse we go flat hunting. We're gonna arrive on the 29th August btw..

C u all soon.. and Adrian, I won't let you be alone on any meets u organise. ;)

Will

Hey King, I'm a huge football fan, and posted somehwere else on these boards that I was going to look for five a side or full field football the minute I get into Beijing. I know expats have leagues, but that will probably be quite a trek (though for once a week it might not be bad). I would like to play with other students though and meet them that way.

which side do you (and everyone else here) support?

I'm a huge Roma fan, and in England I support Newcastle.

I've looked through some of the previous BNU newsletters and can't find any mention of football. Instead, it seems they arrange a table tennis tournament each semester.

I'm not a football person (probably due to being brought up near Tottenham ...) and plan to keep my belly in check by cycling. It's going to be a difficult balance, what with all the cheap and tasty food.

Hey Im pretty sure we can get at least ten people on campus to have a weekly game at least! The Japanese/Koreans in our classes should be well up for it as pretty much any European male. The expats are all the way in Chaoyang right? Thats like 15Km away! Though I do want to go to a martial arts class all the way in WangFuJing area. We'll have to see how much hassle there is on the transport before we get an elite BNU team to thrash all the expats ;-).

Hi King, I looked for a youth hostel (though you can get your own ensuite rooms in these places too which is what I went for). You can book online, and then simply arrive with your print off. I have a link here, theres about hundred different listings for beijing:

http://www.hostelsweb.com/hostelsweb.com/index.php

Its really quite cheap. If that doesnt tickle your fancy, I suggest you buy a Beijing guide book, those contain recommended hotels in different categories that would suit anyone.

Kingkitega and kungfoo...

I love football too, not sure if I'm at the elite level that you guys are at...which reminds me...I should bring my soccer shoes...so fill me in if u know of a game when we're there..

What level do u guys play at? I've played some organized indoor recreational soccer..but and a lot of outdoor with friends...

Actually..I'm about to go play some soccer now with some friends (yes, more commonly we call it soccer here in Canada and North America, unlike the rest of the world)

Still feeding off the World Cup fervor...

Carman

Hi Carman, I cant talk for King but I am BY NO MEANS at any kind of 'level' :). I just play twice a week these days, outdoor with friends. Being brought up in UK I have been brought up with football.

I am sure we will all be able to have a friendly kickabout, in the evening when its cool. Theres lots of ground space to do this on campus even. We can start a new thread after enrolment to seek any takers.

Look forward to meeting and studying with you guys!!

This just in. I linked up with someone who studied at BNU last year and they have a foreign students football team!! I have seen pictures of full sized football pitches and matches and trips to see China Guo An (Chinese National Team) and everything!!

I believe football = soccer in this instance...

how good is this football team? I haven't played on a proper team for well over a year, but if this is true, its time for me to start getting in shape!

also could you link the info, kungfoo?

Hi carman/KungFoo - I wouldn't say I am any level either - I just play for fun and just want to keep fit.

Thanks for the link on hostels KungFoo.. I'm not sure if any are actually near BNU though.. A friend of mine tells me that even the ones located in NW Beijing is not that close.

Still not sure where I will be in the first two weeks...:help

You might want to have a look at somewhere like this - never used it myself, but I think the 365inns are basically cheap and cheerful budget hotels. This one is just a short walk from BNU west gate - I think when they say 'Beijing Primary University' they actually mean BNU. - There's also this one - again, just happened to find it online.

Well the hotel is for the first ten days before moving into halls (and I'll use the days to seek out an apartment if I can) so I think it would be better to be nearer to Central Beijing since Im going to be using this time to be touring the city and all. I am near WangFuJing which is about 10Km away from university but close to all the 名生古迹 (famous and scenic spots). Im likely to be pretty lonesome in this time so it would be good to meet up with anyone who will be there then.

Sorry I dont have any links about the football, simply word of mouth and some pictures I saw but it looked pretty serious. I wouldnt think they would be amazing at football. Anyone who has played a little should be 'in'. Cutting system and tryouts, I would love!! I havent gotten any of that action in years :).

Kungfoo,

Let me know how the apartment hunting goes...I dont' actually arrive until Sept 5, a little later..

I'm currently booked in a double room..which I dont' want to be in..and think I want to do the apartment thing...so if you have any tips on what apartments are good, and their prices, or which agency to look for who will help me find a good apartment...let me know...

Thanks!

BTW, are all you guys on scholarship? I'm not...missed the deadline....for those of you paying tuition...are you just briinging cash? I dont' know if I want to keep withdrawing money (and 2000/3000 RMB per withdrawal) from the machines (I get charged every time too...and carrying all of it with me...or do they take mastercard/visa? service charges?

Roddy, is there an easier way? Eg..opening a chinese account..transfering my money there..and getting free withdrawals (so I have heard)...or paying with that card directly to the BNU? or do they do that?

Thanks guys...

Ence I think I am just paying in cash, though I'd like some more information about this kind of thing too.

As for football, im not so serious that I want to have cuts/tryouts/regular mandatory practice since I'm done with that and have been since High School. I'd rather just have a full field league that's pretty casual or a group of about 25 that gets together regularly to play on a field, (whether its once a week or everyday doesnt really matter). But if taht's the only way I'll get to play football, then I might just do it.

Yeah, I would much rather prefer the casual group drop in thing...or league that just requires joining..tryouts would definitely make things more intense

oh yeah..also, I'm a physio by training..so if we need conditioning or injury treatment I can help ..hopefully we don't though...:D