Chinese-Forums

Who's going to BNU for 07/2006?

adrianlondon

Hey Guys! I'm in Beijing now sitting in a tea place, which happens to have pretty crappy orange milk something bla bla. Not sure but it's kinda crappy. Anayways, Beijing is great! Food is awsome! Good luck to all the new students! If anyone is willing to take chage, maybe we can arrange a meetup.

Hey, Yanne buddy, turn on private messages or send me one about climbing!

For everyone else, if you're interested in having a couple of drinks on Friday night, see the meetup thread in the Beijing forum! Hope to see you there; if you're coming from BNU maybe we can meet up beforehand for some shared taxis (again, emphasis on the getting-back part).

Hi PandaM, just sent you a PM. Did you try to send me a message? But my PM function is not turned off so you should've been able to ...

I read in the handbook or newsletter or one of those reading materials that there is a get-together for old and new international students organised by the international affairs office this friday evening. Actually what it said was 8 september (tuesday), I'm not sure if they have the day wrong or the date wrong. Isn't anyone going?

Well spotted Yanne.

If there is something organised by the IAO, we will go to that as well. Probably find out during opening ceremony tomorrow.

In the meantime - anyone free to meet up for a drink later tonight? Say 9pm? Maybe meet up at Aidi Water Bar (p.90 of BNU guidebook - is this a proper bar with seating?) or Tube Station (200m north from East gate across the street - this I know has seating)

Will

Yeah, the orange book mentions a BNU "Evening Party" from 5:30 until 8:30 on Tuesday 8th September (sic). I assume the day is wrong, not the date. We'll no doubt find out tomorrow at the opening ceremony.

Wow, wasn't the placement test fun? The hardest part was knowing what to do (and what the questions were on about!) - at least the answers were multiple choice. Still, I'm sure they'll work it all out.

Not sure if I'm up for a beer tonight. I'd like to meet you kingkitega as I hear you have a bike for sale and I'm in the market for one ;) However I may want a cheap but solid second hand Giant or something. Undecided. I'm in No3 if anyone wants to get in touch - I assume the landlines are free for internal calls. I've not tried yet. pvt me for a room number; I don't want every internet weirdo sudddenly knocking on my door :) Or do I ...

The front section of the orange book (ie the bit in chinese) says that the evening party is Friday 8th September - which is correct. It also says it's from 5pm until 7pm, unless "19:00" is mandarin for 8:30pm.

This clashes with the start of the forum meetup (another thread) in Wudaokou. Hopefully I'll have a bike by then so can cycle between the two.

Hi Maggie,

There are loads of people here from Indonesia. After I landed at Beijing airport, a plane from jakarta arrived and about 8 people got on the BNU bus. They had a lady from BNU helping them register. Some of them were here last semester and I had lunch with most of the group (there were 11 of us) yesterday. At least one of them speaks no chinese at all. He went to the test today and didn't even know where to write his name. So he is in the beginners class :-)

I just had to add that I also didn't know where to write my name on the placement exam. So I just put my name and country on a random spot on the empty exam sheet and left the exam room almost as soon as I sat down. The oral exam consisted of me staring at the examiners with a blank smile on my face until I thought that it was appropriate to leave. It was funny. Unfortunately, I find myself constantly trying to explain why I can't speak Chinese even though I "look" like I can. *sigh*

Looking Chinese but being unable to speak Mandarin is going to confuse people I'm afraid. Anyway, if you're unable to stand the suspense of your class placement, I can already predict your result. Class 100 for you ;)

Unfortunately, I find myself constantly trying to explain why I can't speak Chinese even though I "look" like I can.

yeah, me too. my parents are hua ren. At least i know my chinese name and how to write it. :)

i think i will be in the begginers class too...

Class 100 for you

thanx... see u there! haha...

Hello all, I havent been on this thread a little while but Im back now, living at di er gongyu, send me an email at ayubbbb@gmail.com if u do anything or live local.

I went to the evening party, it was pretty good, met a lot of new friends there and it was a great opportunity to practice Chinese with the Korean and Japanese minority and get to know people who also live at di er.

So just a day till the results from the dreaded placement exam from hell. I still have nightmares about it lol. I finished the paper, and I only completely randomly guessed the last four questions! 97 to 100. Speaking test went OK, they said theyll recommend me for 102, but I havent heard of anyone else being told which class they were getting recommended for. Did anyone? How you all finding things? Looking forward to class tuesday?

I found a great martial arts class, would like someone to go with as its in Wangfujing area. I guess itll be pretty good Chinese practice, a guy beating you up when you dont understand what he just said :D.

I met another Londoner who's living in F2 or something. He's also into martial arts and has already enroled at a place in Wanfujing. Maybe you'd like to swap details? I doubt he has email, so if you're interested you can private me your mobile number.

Good to bump into you at the opening cermony, conversation-eavesdropping Kungfoo :-) I hope that's not another of my wacky British Humour jokes that you don't get! hah.

Sorry I haven't made the meetups. Today's crock up will be ebcause I spent the day bargaining for a mobile phone and though I spent about 100 RMB more than I wanted, I also got a better phone than I had expected (which I am happy with for now).

Placement tests, lets just say that I knew where to write my name and everything but understood maybe 2/25 questions at best. I looked at the guy who was sitting in front of me (another american with a few years of Chinese under his belt) and noticed that out of the first 25 questions, we had 3 matching answers, so I'm guessing I got three right. After answering (well guessing) the next five questions, I called over the teacher and told her I knew nothing and just totally bssed about 27 questions and could I leave now, or I could just fill in the other 70 answers randomly and give her the exam in 1 minute. She let me go upto to the oral examination.

My examiners were very nice and they had me read the 100 level passage, about 70-80 percent of which I could right (tones not withstanding). I think I will be in 101, because they sounded very encouraging.

Luckily my roommate told me what to expect so I wasn't surprised at all...

Hello everybody!

I agree, the placement test was so difficult! Today I found out that I'm in class 101-07 and my room mate is in 101-08. Which class are you in?

And do you know if you can change to another class in the same level? (In the "Guide to Studying at BNU" says no, but who knows...)