Chinese-Forums

ICLP (Taiwan) v. IUP (Beijing)

7jason7

If you are interested in doing just a summer session rather than a full-year program I would also look at Princeton in Beijing. I did the 5th year level during the summer of 2010 and it was very intensive. I had previously done the IUP summer program as well in 2006, so I can say with first-hand experience that PiB is more intensive than IUP (although I'm sure IUP has undergone changes since 2006). I chose PiB over ICLP because my internet research suggested that PiB was slightly more intensive overall than ICLP, and I wanted to pack as much into one summer as I could. I think the two main things that contributed to the intensity for me were the language pledge (not allowed to speak anything other than mandarin) and the homework (lots of reading, new vocab, and compositions). Additionally, the other students were all very smart and hard-working, so you really have to pay attention and be on your game to not 献丑.