Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarships

Qcash3

Hey, i've noticed that there are a few CSC scholarship recipients out there, do any of you know what the deal is with housing? I am not sure how much the government will pay for housing, but if I am willing to pay he difference could I still live in an apartment? Also, is the plain ticket covered by the government as well (full scholarship)? Do any of you know how the living allowance will be distributed? If anyone who has already done the CSC scholarship has some info on these things that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a set amount they give for housing, so if you chose to live elsewhere they may only give you the corresponding amount, i.e. maybe the equivalent of the cheapest dorm room. I am not sure about airfare, but they might. Then they have the monthly scholarship pick up while you are out here.

Did you already receive the scholarship? or are you just curious? It seems like they will provide you with this information after receiving it.....

HOWEVER, if you haven't received it yet, just as an FYI all of the long-term recipients I know from while studying out here came from developing countries (and by long term I mean maybe only 1 semester) When I was interested in applying for such a scholarship in 2005 they where only offering it for 1 month in July or August to American students, but a year or so earlier I think it was offered for longer. At least this is what the people who I spoke with at the San Francisco and LA Chinese Embassy's told me, and I actually knew those people from keeping in touch with them after the HSK so it wasn't through some random embassy office generated email. So, not to dash your hopes, but FIRST see if they are definitely offering the scholarships you are interested in and for the period of time in which you are interested. In fact if you can find non-Chinese scholarships maybe you will be even better off and things will be more organized....have you ever considered iie or the nsep (although there is a service requirement...yikes)

Disclaimer:

These scholarships you mentioned are the one's that require HSK scores right? (If not, then maybe I am mistaken....hehe)

Can anyone in the last 1-2 years prove me wrong about the duration the scholarships are offered to students, its the scholarship agency that ultimately decides, right??

Heifeng, thanks for the response. Yes, I have already recieved the scholarship for the 2006-2007 school year. It is a full scholarship covering tuition, learning materials, housing, and a monthly living stipend. I received my admission notice and all that, but i received no paperwork giving me the specifics of things. For instance, I know that they will cover hosuing but I have no idea where I'm going to be living, or how much they will pay for housing. I figured it would probably be what you said, in terms of them paying for the cheapest dorm room, but I would like to live in my own apartment off campus. So i'm hoping I will be allowed to do that, and if they don't pay for the full cost, I hope they will at least pay the dorm amount and I will cover the difference. As for the HSK, I think I remember reading something about them requiring it for certain scholarships, but they didn't require it of me. I just graduated from high school, so I am not applying for their graduate scholarships or anything, they have me enrolled as a General Scholar whatever that is.

hey Qcash3,

Congrats on the scholarship!

I can try and contact my classmates to see what scholarship they actually received and if it covered their airfare....I just remember them picking up monthly stipends while out here and living in the less expensive (but pretty nice) housing...ideally, I think CSC would eventually sent you more paperwork, but then again, stuff isn't the most organized out here at times..heheh

Did you get to pick your university? If you know your university maybe the people on the board can help you in terms of housing questions. Since you are going to be out here for a year do you think you would benefit from living in the on campus dorms at all during the first semester?

Hi,

I also got a CSC complete scholarship for this year 2006-2007, as a Chinese language student. I will live on the campus, in a double room (this is what is provided for scholarship students). I heard that if you pay the difference you can get a single room, so maybe you can also ask the money and live outside. But I'm not sure.

I also heard that some universities open a banking account for you, and give you the monthly living allowance by this way. For Chinese language students and undergraduates students it's 800 yuan/month.

As for the plane ticket, I'm quite sure it's not included...

Hope this can help :)

Did you get to pick your university? If you know your university maybe the people on the board can help you in terms of housing questions. Since you are going to be out here for a year do you think you would benefit from living in the on campus dorms at all during the first semester?

Yes, I was able to pick my school, and I picked Tsinghua. I don't know much about the dorms at Tsinghua, but I wouldn't mind living there and i'm sure I would benefit from it. I would rather live in off campus housing for a few reasons, mainly because I would be able to mingle with the Chinese more. Also if I was living in off campus housing I could make my own rules in terms of curfew and what not.

I also got a CSC complete scholarship for this year 2006-2007, as a Chinese language student. I will live on the campus, in a double room (this is what is provided for scholarship students). I heard that if you pay the difference you can get a single room, so maybe you can also ask the money and live outside. But I'm not sure.

Congratulations! What school are you going to? Did CSC send you any info about your hosuing status?

I also heard that some universities open a banking account for you, and give you the monthly living allowance by this way. For Chinese language students and undergraduates students it's 800 yuan/month.

As for the plane ticket, I'm quite sure it's not included...

Hope this can help

On your admission notice what did they have you enrolled as? On mine they said that I would be enrolled as a "general scholar," even though I applied as a Chinese Language student :conf. After putting in a call to the embassy, I was quickly assured that they would not be paying for the ticket. I believe the term 'self sponsored' was thrown around quite a bit..... Thanks for the help Heifeng and Lucie!

I'm going to Capital Normal University. Not very well-known but I hoped the international part would by smaller than in other universities like BLCU...

CSC hasn't sent me anything about housing; what I know comes from people responsible for scholarships in my country (Switzerland). They said it would be a double room. The problem is that I don't know if the room is automatically booked for CSC students? If I arrive there and they say: sorry, everything is full... Argh! Ok...I think I worry for nothing... Anyway I sent a mail to CNU, but they haven't answered yet.

My admission notice says "we have decided to enroll you to study at the College of International Education of our institution as a Chinese Language Student in the program of Contemporary Chinese taught in Chinese". I have been studying Chinese only for 2 years, maybe you are an undergraduate student because your level of Chinese allows you to understand normal courses taught in Chinese? I think it's great to be an undergraduate student: your classmates are Chinese people

Hey do any of you guys know whether or not the scholarship will cover housing if we move to Beijing before we are supposed to register for school? My registration dates are from September 12th-14th, but I want to move to Beijing next week, and I don't want to have to pay for two weeks of housing. Do you think the CSC would start paying housing if I moved into an apartment instead of waiting to move into the dorms?

hey quentin,

i received a similar scholarship (PRC/Canada) and it is covering housing on campus.

i heard that we were not able to ask for a stipend and move out of campus, but i will ask once i get there. the problem is i have noone to contact there and the website of tsinghua is somewhat diffucult to navigate.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

All

First of all, well done on your scholarships - you lucky people!

I am planning to go study in China (not decided where yet) in 2008 Feb. and I have a few questions about the CSC application form - it mentions a 'GUARANTOR IN CHINA' - who should that be? Is a friend enough? Also, it asks for the 'ORGANISATION THAT RECOMMENDED YOU' - Well, no-one - I just want to go and have decided for myself!

Can you guys please let me know what you put on your application forms?

I am planning to study language only for a period of a year.

I hope your courses are going well - work hard!

Thanks so much for your help

Clive

PS Xin nian kuai le!

• 6 months later...
Does anyone know if the double dormitory given at tsinghua for students under a csc full scholarship is an AB room or a shared one with a public bathroom??

It will be a shared room with a public use bathroom. I was a little dissapointed about that last year, but it turned out better for my Chinese language skills later. My roommate being a non-English speaking person, we were forced to communicate using Chinese everyday. I also picked up quite a bit of Mongolian along the way. If you have any more questions regarding the CSC scholarship please feel free to ask, I just returned home yesterday after completing said scholarship. Unfortunately things were not as organized as I would have liked them to be, but perhaps this year will be different. The woman who co-ordinates the scholarship and everything, a Zhou Laoshi, is a very nice woman. She will do her utmost to help you with whatever you need. If you see her please tell her that 卫汀 sends his regards, she should recognize the name...:twisted:

qcash. it would be awesome if you could write about how you got your scholarship under the "how i got my csc scholarship" thread.

and this year, there are a bunch of people that got it, too... tell us how it all works! how do they give you the stipend? will the school approach you about the tuition or is it something thats never brought up as long as they know your a scholarship holder? is it, in fact, possible to take the housing money and use that to live outside of the dorms if you choose to? what do you mean it wasnt as organized as you would have liked? what was the worst? the best? tell us tell us!

• 4 years later...
  • New Members

Lucie

I am in switzerland and was wondering for your CSC scholarship, which diplomatic agency did you aply through as I am having trouble locating a relevant and helpful contact who can point me in the right direction.

I am currently living in Geneva.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Jaspal