Chinese-Forums

A simple but sometimes difficult to understand grammar principle

pattifranklin

well..i try to give you some examples below:

1.我从来没有吃过榴莲。i have never eaten durian.

2.我从来不吃榴莲。 i never eat durian.

1.我从来没有这样做过。 i have never done this.

2.我从来不这样做的。 i never do it like this.

“从来没有”means you have not tried something, and you are likely to have a try soon.

“从来不” means you do not do something and you are not going to do it now or always.

hmm,,,it is almost the same meaning as "Quest".

i hope my explanation not make you feel confused.:wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,pattifranklin

Hope this would hel you:

On the difference between “没有”(“没”)and "不"

"没有" is used to describe objective things which happened or happen, not will happen.

"不" is used to describe subjective desires which happened, happen or will happen.

e.g.

以前他没有去过。

前天他没去。

今天他没有来。 (objective things)

前天请他他不来,现在不请他他更不来了。 (subjective desire)

"不" can be used before all auxiliary verbs.But "没有" can only be used before 能, 能够, 要, 肯 , 敢 ,etc., which mean abilities or attitudes

e.g.

不会讲| 不该去| 不可以用 | 不应该问他 | 不愿意走

For the examples above "没有" can not replace "不".

"不" + auxil.v. + v. has five kinds of forms:

不能去 | 能不去 | 不能不去 | 能不能去?| 能去不能?

"没有" + auxil.v. + v. have has only one kind of form:

没能去

As for your question, 从来没有 emphasizes an objective fact, and 从来不 emphasizes a negative attitude which is subjective.

Try to comprehend the two examples:

我从来没有吃过榴莲。(I have never eaten a durian.It is a fact,but it doen't mean that I don't like to eat a durian. Probably I like it,but I have no chance to have one.)

我从来不吃榴莲。(I never eat it, because I dislike it or I can't eat it for some reasons.)

againstwind, sorry but your explanations are long, complex, and confusing... or maybe I just didn't understand.. or attempt to... that's why I hate most most american textbooks.... they would write 2 pages of highly sophisticated text just to explain to you 3+3=6.... by the time you understand what they were trying to say, would you still have the energy to use and to remember what you just "learned"?

Don't get me wrong, the extra information is appreciated, Againstwind obviously took a lot of time in putting together that post. I'm just in pretty much total agreement with Quest's observation on educational materials so I had to chime in.

:)

Sorry, i'll try to shorten my explanation later.And there may be some problems when i use English to explain. I apologize.

I agree with Quest that terse answer is helpful for explain linguistic problems.

However, language doesn't equal 3+3=6.

Difference is difference.:)

I have to agree with Hashiri here that Againstwind's explanations are very much appreciated.

Whilst Quest's and Aweni's answers were very clear and to the point, this information could easily have been obtained from any basic Chinese grammar book. On the other hand, it is often difficult to find explanations of the more advanced or subtle aspects of Chinese, and when native speakers are willing to take the time to provide detailed explanations, it makes this site an invaluable resource.

If you think a post goes into unneccessary detail, just skip over it. As far as I'm concerned, the more information that's provided, the better. The reader is free to pick and choose what is most useful to him/herself.

Thank you to everybody who takes the time to help us learners of Chinese.