Chinese-Forums

Study mandarin in Shenzhen

Crivens200

Wonder if anyone here has ever used Shenzhen as a study base. When I studied Mandarin it was in Beijing as I assumed it would be the best place to do it. I would never have thought that Shenzhen would be a good place to study Chinese as I assumed their mother tongue would be guang dong hua - I was living in Hong Kong at the time and wanted to be in the place generally considered best.

Last week I passed through SZ for a few days and found that the generally spoken language isn't yue yu but is in fact putonghua due to the influx of wai di ren.

Everyone I asked wasn't a native shen zhen ren but from somewhere outside of shenzhen. Due to SZ's economic explosion over the past 10-20 years it has seen an influx of outsiders and mandarin has become the language of choice.

I thought this interesting and got me thinking - perhaps SZ is a better place to study the language than in some university in Beijing with a thousand other foreigners who hang out in blah blah bar?

Anyone know much about studying in SZ?