Chinese-Forums

Oasis hong kong airlines

onebir

That would make more sense. And the lowest price they mention 'to Britain' is GBP43...

The thing that threw me is this reference:

fares on the long-haul network would be as low as £14 for destinations in China.

Is China-Malaysia long-haul?

Anyway, it all sounds pretty tentative at the moment. But it'll be great if it brings another LCC into the far east AND increases competition on China-SEAsia flights, which are much more expensive than flights within SEAsia have become over the last few years.

On a budget airline seat? I'd say it is

Depends how big you are ;-)

Found the original malaysia star story

And the GBP14 reference:

" “The fare Malaysians and the rest of the world will be looking at is as low as RM100 (=14GBP) for destinations in China,” said a source familiar with the discussions."

"Malaysians and the rest of the world" taken literally would include Europe -> China, but it does seem unlikely. So the story was unclear before Guardian journalists got their hands on it...

Do they mean from Europe to China???
Based on the original article, I take it that there will be no direct flights from Europe to China. They're saying "and the rest of the world" simply because foreigners obviously also can fly from Malaysia to China.

It turns out Airasia had plans for a long-haul budget carrier, but not an alliance, see:

CNN report

"Online sale of tickets will begin next month for initial service to Tianjin and Hangzhou in China, and to either Manchester or London in the United Kingdom."

Malaysia's daily express report

"AirAsia X would stick to the business model of tight cost control and offer low fares with one way flight to United Kingdom starting from RM9.99. "Low fares attract volume," he said, adding that the average ticket price would be at least 50 percent cheaper than the current air ticket prices." " :) :) :)

"Chan said that AirAsia X has been given the right to fly to destinations that Malaysia Airlines (MAS) was not flying into." (Which appears to mean airports as opposed to cities (MAS flies KL-London, but London is a potential route mentioned above.)

I just called Oasis Hongkong to check their one-way ticket policy and they told me:

1) they won't let UK passport holders fly one way to HK without an onward ticket

2) telling them you want to go to mainland china by train (suggested here) won't cut it...

but

3) they know they're one of 'very few' airlines with this policy, and they've asked head office if they could change it (and in the mean time document it on the website so online bookers don't get shafted)

• 4 months later...

Am flying Oasis out of HK next week, so will report back - they seem to get pretty good reviews though.

Also, they've signed up to the Skypier system at HKIA. This means you can fly into Shenzhen, take the free bus to the ferry terminal, do a pre-check in procedure (where they check you'll actually be able to fly so you don't get stuck airside), take the ferry to HKIA where you check in 'properly' at the pier, then take a bus to airside. Flying direct to HK will still be the easier option, but if you are counting the pennies this might work out cheaper, without the hassle of an overland route. Probably won't make much difference though. Of course, you do get to go on a boat :mrgreen:

They must be doing OK, as it's forced some (maybe short term) reduction in pricing.

Air New Zealand has a return from London to HK for £300 inclusive.

BA reduced the price of their return from London to Beijing from £640 to £400 for a limited period. Unfortunately, I'd already booked (Air China, £410) before BA announced their offer. Hopefully, the lack of a seat-back TV screen won't be too much of a discomfort. Air China has much better times though.

You have to be aware that only a very small minority gets the low price. Maybe 10%. The rest will pay more, and more. Bringing the price near other airlines. So, really compare prices. Plus a coke or a beer is Euro 3.00 or so. Plus it really works best if London is your final destination.

I just booked Cathy to EU in the high season for HK$5300 (plus tax).

PS: I flew ones Ryan from Italy to UK for €14.95. With Taxes it was then about €40-50 - still dead cheap. However, you book a bit later prices go easily up to 200+ for short notice flyer's. Flight was much better then expected, quite nice. Ryan is top!

You have to be aware that only a very small minority gets the low price. Maybe 10%.

The percentage getting low prices seems to be a bit higher with Oasis. I flew on a 60-70% full plane, but a fellow passenger who'd booked the day before the flight paid only GBP200 or so (in taxes).

Hopefully, the lack of a seat-back TV screen won't be too much of a discomfort

There's seat-back TV on the Oasis flights, but less choice of films than on BA etc. (But maybe Adrian's flying Air NZ - & they don't have it?)

There's seat-back TV on the Oasis flights,

They have only 2 machines, and both are from SQ. So they have the little screen (as long as the previous owner had them). Do you have to pay for the headphones?

Having to pay for beer would be no issue in the past, just bring your own. But with the new 100ml regulation you can't bring liquids onboard.

I just checked some prices for one way: HK>UK

gbp 169 + 279 (normal and flexi)

gbp 169 is HK$2650 before taxes. Or gbp209 (HK$3260 after taxes)

A complete return trip is gbp425, or HK$6630

You can check yourself other dates: http://www.oasishongkong.com

My CX flight (HK>UK>Helsinki + return) is HK$5360 + Tax 1752 = 7112

And that's in July, high season.

What I want to say is: don't simply think that budget airlines are always much cheaper. Really go out and compare prices. Also, with CX my EU flight is included. With Oasis I would have to pay it extra. Then it would be way more expensive.