Chinese-Forums

Oasis hong kong airlines

onebir

don't simply think that budget airlines are always much cheaper.

Absolutely right - unless you're flying one way. Fortunately Skyscanner.net provides an easy way to check budget airline prices between any two cities - although their route info isn't always 100% up to date.

Do you have to pay for the headphones?
They're free as far as I can remember.

Yeah, the one-way options often work out the best if you don't know where / when you are going next. I've pretty canceled out my savings by failing to get cheap tickets to HK (reminds me, where's the elong guy :evil: ) and not taking advantage of the chance of a stopover in the south, but that's my own stupid fault.

Absolutely right - unless you're flying one way.

OK, O/W flights are always more expensive and can cost easily 80% of a return ticket.

But there is a trick for those with "connections". If you know people in the shipping industry they may can help you to get a "Seaman ticket". There are specially designed for seaman and are always one way. I forgot the class code letter, I think it was M class.

"Seaman ticket" - That's an outrageous form of price discrimination.

Why is that? There are probably 100 different tariffs. If you speak to 10 people on your flight in your row most likely each one paid a different price.

The "Seaman ticket" market is quite active since personal swap often in ports to go to other locations or for re-crewing.

But for people with no "connections" Oasis is certainly a good deal. Even better if you can book early and get a special low price.

Why is that? There are probably 100 different tariffs.

Ok... What I should have said was "Seamen's tickets - one of the many outrageous forms of price discrimination airlines are still being allowed to get away with"

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a promotional email from Oasis which might be of interest to people posting on here. I've only skimmed it, so I'll apologize in advance if I'm wrong. Basically:

They're giving away 1000 free HK>Vancouver tickets to anyone who flew with them before May 31 on any route. First come first served. Call

Hong Kong +852 3628 0628

The UK +44 (0)844 4822323

to book.

Type of ticket - return / one way / business / economy - depends on what your original ticket was.

Really can't see any catches, although dates are restricted

Travel Period :

Hong Kong - Vancouver : 1 July 2007 - 10 July 2007

Vancouver - Hong Kong : 1 July 2007 - 31 July 2007

I've bought an Oasis return ticket from HK to London Gatwick for HKD 3,580 (pre-tax and fees) and will be flying in Sep/Oct. The cheapest ticket is/was HKD 3,180 but I booked two days too late. :( May report later about the flight.

Have also booked myself a connecting BA ticket from Gatwick to Dubrovnik using mileage points. So I am going to Croatia at last. HAHA. :D

Sure I can.

HK to Gatwick

AIR FARE HKD 1,990

YQ: FUEL SURCHARGE - HKG HKD 412

HK: HKG PASSENGER SERVICE FEE - HKG HKD 120

Q: HKG SECURITY SERVICE FEE - HKG HKD 33

Subtotal HKD 2,555

Gatwick to HK

AIR FARE HKD 1,590

YQ: FUEL SURCHARGE - LGW HKD 412

GB: UK AIR PASSENGER DUTY ECONOMY - LGW HKD 640

UB: UK PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE - LGW HKD 126

Subtotal HKD 2,768

Fares + Taxes Total HKD 5,323

Well ... :D

If you want a meal it's an extra £6.

Not sure if this is true as it is said on Oasis' website that "No matter what fare you pay, you’ll enjoy complimentary in-flight meals on every Oasis Hong Kong Airlines flight." But a special meal does cost an extra £6.

Those taxes are high. For HK they are HKD 565 (about 30% of ticket price), but for Gatwick they are HKD 1,178 (about 74% of the ticket price).

• 1 month later...

For any of you who are good at planning ahead (i.e. not me), Oasis have a deal whereby you get around £100 off a return to HK from London if you book today or tomorrow and fly in 2008. Probably works for people flying the other way, too. Dunno.

Click on any link where it says "3000 free tickets".

http://www.oasishongkong.com/gb/en/home.aspx

I have in my hand a return ticket Hong Kong - London Heathrow - Hong Kong with British Airways for October.

Reading ths thread lead me to compare.

First the Oasis site refused to work with my browser. I switched to Firefox (or Snailfox as it should be called) and waited the usual twenty minutes for it to find the site. I enter the same details and dates as my flights. After a 15 minute wait, it comes back with details of a totally different flight on a totally different day - one way rather than the return I asked for - and berates me for requesting to come back before I leave, which a simple click of the back button shows I didn't do.

Switching yet again to Interdribble Exporer, I get some sort of answer. It quotes me two different prices for each leg of the return. My flight HK - London is either £169 or £279. Coming back is slightly cheaper (It's downhill) £139 or £279. No meaningful explanation is given as to the difference.

Anyway, even at the cheapest it is around £100 more expensive than my BA flights. And I won't arrive miles from London!

A pox on them!

Picking a random date in September 2008 (as it says "good availability" there for the free flights, and this was just a test) I got a return price from London to HK for £227 including all taxes with Oasis.

You'll have to work harder to get the remaining free flights on earlier months.

Probably works for people flying the other way, too. Dunno.

Seems not. The conditions state

customers must purchase a return flight from London to Hong Kong to qualify for the free ticket

• 4 weeks later...

I flew from HK to Gatwick last week and the experience was very good. I managed to select on-line a seat by the exit 72 hours before departure and was very happy with it. The check-in was smooth, the service on board was ok. A dinner and a breakfast were served at no extra cost. The food was not bad. Drinks were also free as long as they were non-alcoholic. The crew were friendly and helpful with plenty of smiles. Their uniform was pretty bad (the design, fabric, cutting) though but I don't mind it if poor uniform means that i could pay less. Departure and arrival were on time. Actually we arrived at Gatwick so early that we had to wait for the designated arrival gate.

Generally I don't think there was much difference from other non-budget airlines.