Chinese-Forums

2 Questions for Hakka speakers

Mugi

I realize I'm unlikely to get many repsonses, but will try my luck anyway.

(Will try posting to a Chinese language forum too)

How would you say the following in Hakka?

1. 我家有三口人而已

And

2. 这条鱼很新鲜

I'm specifically interested in the words I've highlighted. The reason I'm asking is that many Hakka speakers in Taiwan use a construction for the first sentence identical to Hokkien, but don't think of it as a "borrowed" construction. They also have a special word for "fresh" which sounds almost identical to the Hokkien word, but again most Hakka speakers there believe it is an indigenous Hakka word.

I'm trying to see whether the construction and word in question are used outside Taiwan, so would appreciate it if respondees could state where they are from (or where their family originally came from).

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mugi

The hakka I speak isn't the one that is spoken the most, but you might benefit from it. It's donggan hakka my family speaks according to my grandma.

I could send you a sound file of the 只 and the 新鲜 if you'd like to. I don't really know how to say 而已. I think there might be a different word for that.

The 只 is tanghe, and the 新鲜 sounds almost similar to the mandarin one.

Hello china_boy1992,

Thank you for your reply. Could you post the sound file to this thread? Just the one for 只, although it would be great if you could read the entire sentence.

If 新鲜 sounds similar to the Mandarin pronunciation, then it is undoubtedly the same word. I'm actually looking to see if there are any Hakka dialects outside Taiwan that use a word sounding like "qi".

• 2 weeks later...