Chinese-Forums

What does this mean?

Guest Daughter of the Nile

What are the actual characters? As the person who told you "bing tang" if the proposed ones correspond.

As I'm not in horse gambling in HK or anywhere, you should try to know where this transcription comes from, as it can be a very "poetic" one...It can be Chinese (someone said there are about 200 dialects, so it can be Ming2 xing1 in that dialect, then mis-transcribed, mis-heard, etc...) or Japanese, or Korean, who knows?

Guest Daughter of the Nile

Okay I'll try this again from the top.

My friend's horse's registered name is Tango Bing Tang. She told me she thought "Bing Tang" means "star" in Chinese but she wasn't sure. Tango and Tang have nothing to do with each other other than they are in the same name.

Can anyone verify that "Bing Tang" means "star" in Chinese?

I do not know the characters, the name is written as you see it: Tango Bing Tang.

Beirne - hmm interesting. =) haha.

Then I think your friend has mistaken the meaning. As beirne says, the pinyin is most likely for bing1 tang2 冰糖 which means rock sugar.

Star can be 星 (xing1) or 星星 (xing1 xing) or even 星辰 (xing1 chen2). If in the context of, like, movie star, then it is 明星 (ming2 xing1), like nnt says.

By the way, I used to like the japanese comic book "Daughter of the Nile" (not the movie, was it directed by 楊德昌?).