Chinese-Forums

US Movie Titles in Chinese

woliveri

I wonder if there is a list of movies too, it would also be very useful for me. When I want to know a certain title I go to Baidu.com (chinese search engine), type in Engish and one of the sites usually has the name.

Grease (1978) 《火爆浪子》

Oh Brother 《逃狱三王》

Jeremiah Johnson (1972) 猛虎过山

You can go to a site like: http://www.mov6.com

There you can search directly for movie names. Very tedious

Some of these sites will let you download them if you have Emule. However finding Chinese subtitles is not easy.

Wikipedia can also be useful for this. Find the English version in the English wikipedia, then click 中文 on the left. Only works if the Chinese wp has an article about the movie.

www.shooter.cn(射手网) would be helpful,it's the biggest sub station in china, the producer of the subtitles are volunteers. when i downloaded a movie without any subtitles, i'll refer to it.

it's a pity shooters dosn't have a english site.i wish the chinses pages won't make too many troubles to you

The simplest way is to use Google. Do a search for the following:

"name of movie" 演

The Chinese character yan3, is in the words for actor and director and should be on any movie related site. This method will work for anything but the most obscure movie title.

You can also use a slightly different method to find the English names of Chinese movies.

That's a fine workaround, but you have to be careful. There are different Chinese titles for HK, China, and Taiwan, plus there may be numerous unofficial translations that are used before the official Chinese translations are known.

On the first page of search results for "Snakes on a plane" there were:

空中蛇災

毒蛇嚇機

飛機上有蛇

航班蛇患

I think the first one is correct for Taiwan.

That's a fine workaround, but you have to be careful. There are different Chinese titles for HK, China, and Taiwan, plus there may be numerous unofficial translations that are used before the official Chinese translations are known.

Good point. You can minimise any problems by using Google's advanced search function. Select traditional/simplified Chinese and domains ending in .tw, .cn or .hk depending on what you are looking for.