Chinese-Forums

The Best Way to Learn Chinese

Guest jimmychua1981

Guest jimmychua1981

hello

i'm planning on spending a year in china (starting this september) with the aim of learning mandarin to as high a standard as possible, (i'm a complete beginner at the moment).

what do u think the best way of doing this is?

At the moment i;'m planning on studying on a mandarin course at the hangzhou university of commerce for the first semester and then somewhere in beijing for the second semester. at the same time i plan to teach english freelance in my sparetime.

but do you think i'd learn faster form just teaching straight away?

where is the best city/college in china to study mandarin?

thnaks, for your help, jimmy

There are plenty of places that will teach you Mandarin. Many of the Universities here in Beijing offer live in courses.

A friend is studying Manadarin at Bei Wai and also teaches for a few hours per week, so it is possible.

There is also the Beijing Acent to consider.

:shock:

• 3 months later...

What would be the best way to get hooked into a study group? I'm in the Houston area and I've just begun studying Chinese as a continuing education student at Rice University. Any suggestions in addition to student groups?

I need real situations here. I can buy all the books and tapes I like, but if I'm not forced to carry on unscripted conversations, I won't learn.

What would be the best way to get hooked into a study group? I'm in the Houston area and I've just begun studying Chinese as a continuing education student at Rice University. Any suggestions in addition to student groups?

I need real situations here. I can buy all the books and tapes I like' date=' but if I'm not forced to carry on unscripted conversations, I won't learn.[/quote']

It seems like there are many of us who are from Houston on this forum, myself included. Off the top of my head, I believe there are at least four of us.

I personally go to the University of Houston but I heard that Rice has a pretty good Chinese department as well. I believe if you ask your Chinese teacher, maybe he or she can tell you a little more about student groups.