Chinese-Forums

Masters Program Entrance Exams?

shuchong

Hi all!

I'm considering getting my masters in Chinese lit, and it makes sense to me to get it in China. I'm just starting to nose around university websites, and a lot of them mention an entrance examination in addition to the HSK. My questions:

1) Are these exams given in China, or are they given remotely? I'm working in the US this year, and I really don't have the time (or the money) to fly over to China to take an exam.

2) Has anyone ever taken one of these exams for lit or humanities? If I've tested at HSK level 9, will my Chinese be good enough to pass?

Thanks in advance:)

• 2 weeks later...

There are some post-grad programs that will admit foreigners with an intermediate HSK score. These programs include business or science degrees that you would study alongside locals, and then MA TCSL programs that are designed specifically for foreigners. The latter kind of program probably would not be well recognized in China or elsewhere.

For local post-grad programs in Chinese lit, TCSL or other arts/social science fields, it seems that most decent unis will require an advanced HSK score. If a university didn't require it, one would have to ask himself if it would be worth doing.

The only local MA program I ever looked into was the MA TCSL at BLCU. At that time, they didn't post entry requirements for non-Chinese on their website, but they told me that a non-local would have to pass the same entry exam as a local. AFAIK, these exams are only held in mainland China. For a good MA in Chinese lit, I imagine you'd have to have an Advanced A or B HSK cert plus a pass on the entrance exam.

If the entry exam system for PRC universities puts you off, you could also consider Taiwan. I've known or known of plenty of people who got ROC government scholarships to do post-grad study there. You could have a look at postings by "Little Buddha" at www.forumosa.com if you want to find out about doing post-grad study in Chinese lit in Taiwan.

When I took the entrance exam for a masters program in lit at BNU, it seemed like most people who weren't on government scholarships from their home countries came over to sit for the exam, which was similar to that given to domestic students but rather less difficult.

The HSK wasn't required; if you didn't have a score, then you had to take an additional Chinese language exam. A level 9 should be sufficient, I think (I've never taken the HSK myself), but it's really enough to be able to write coherent essays.

You might want to contact the enrollment offices of universities you are interested in to see if you could work out something.

It might also be possible to take the exam in China and then just remain in the country until the semester starts. Some universities are now offering "provisional acceptance", contingent on performance in the first semester or two; you might be able to work something out with the student affairs office to offer this to you in the Spring semester so you could start immediately in the fall.