Chinese-Forums

Describe your neighbourhood in Beijing.

yonitabonita

Hi folks,

I've had enough of Wudaokou. It's almost been a year now and I want to move. I have spent most of this year with my head in a book and my heart in a panic about not studying hard and fast enough. I haven't really made the time to explore different neighbourhoods, but I'd like to start. That said, it's a big city and I need to narrow it down.

Descriptions of Beijing neighbourhoods you've lived at, currently are living in, or general such advice would be appreciated.

I have a few vague ideas about what I want.

- a totally different experience from WDK

- more Chinese people around

- up to 3000 yuan per month for a 1 person apartment

- within 2km from a couple of good cafes

- walking distance to subway station, preferably Line 1 or Line 2

- some trees nearby

It's not important that I live near any bars or night time hot spots. I want to be very close to folks that sell their veggies from the back of their trucks.

Thanks a million

Y

I'm a big fan of the area I've lived in for the last three something years. Basically, draw a square on a map running Xizhimen-Jimenqiao-Beitaipingzhuangqiao-Jishuitan. I've always stuck to the south end of that block in order to be closer to the subway.

-different from wudaokou? Definitely. Small foreign population, overwhelmingly average income Chinese residents, with a small but increasing number of more expensive apartment complexes. Certain number of students, but not massive - you have Beishida, the Post and Telecommunications University and some film / broadcasting university within that square. Loads of restaurants, but mostly Chinese.

- more Chinese people around. Yep. So much so that when I see a foreigner I point and laugh. More seriously, there are foreign student contingents at Beishida and to a lesser extent the other two universities, but they don't dominate the area like in Wudaokou. Virtually no 'expat' foreigners, if any - it just isn't on the map.

- up to 3000 yuan per month for a 1 person apartment. No problem. I'm paying 4000 for two bedrooms. Last place was 1700Y for a small one-bed. Modern studios available at 2000ish. No shortage of either older or newer buildings to choose from.

- within 2km from a couple of good cafes. 2km depends on exactly where you are. You have Tube Station near Beitaipingzhuangqiao, Twelve Oaks at Beishida East Gate, Our Lounge near Wenhuiqiao. None of those are fantastic places, but I've spent a fair amount of time in all of them.

- walking distance to subway station, preferably Line 1 or Line 2. How far can you walk:wink: The south end of that square runs from Jishuitan (line 2) to Xizhimen (2, 13). The east side of the block also has bus links to pretty much anywhere you're likely to want to go, and you've got quick (traffic allowing) access to the 2nd and 3rd ring roads for taxi runs.

-veggies from the back of their trucks. I've got an alley running north that it entirely street food / small restaurants, and one running east which is almost entirely fruit stalls.

- some trees nearby. You've got the Beishida campus, Xihai just over the southern boundary, and whatever Beijing Municipal Government has planted. No real parks though. I guess there's the canal along the south end, but postcard material it ain't.

Friend of mine has recently moved into the area from the wastelands south of Guomao, and he's loving it too. There's quite a bit of info on the area on here in Beishida accommodation discussions if you look for it.

• Like 2

I am also currently living in the same area that Roddy described. It's a nice, convenient location. I came back to it after moving away for a bit. Also because BNU is nearby there are plenty of buses, so you don't necessarily have to take the subway to get around.

I use to be near xiao ying (NE 4th ring area) which I liked because there were donkey pulled carts out on the street in the morning when I would walk to the bus stop and there was a cheap produce & meat market nearby. The only bad part was it was far from a subway and there was construction going on 24/7 which made hiking up and down the roads an adventure at times. The sidewalks have planters for trees, but there are currently no trees planted in them, it might take some time I'm guessing. Besides that the area was ok:mrgreen:

• 10 months later...