Chinese-Forums

Zhongshan (Sun Yat-Sen) University

haiku

I am planning on doing the intensive Mandarin program at Zhongshan University in Guangzhou beginning this fall. I want to work part-time while I am there and I am wondering about the schedule of classes. Jinan and other universities in Guangzhou seem to hold all Chinese language classes in the morning from about 8:30 - 12:30, regardless of what level you take.

Is this the same at Zhongshan?

How is the internet connection at the international student hall on the South Campus? Do internet phone programs like skype often get cut off?

Has anyone lived/is anyone living in the international student hall on the South Campus? Is there a curfew like at Jinan University or can you come home at any time of night? Would you recommend living in the dorms instead of getting an apartment off-campus? Does the South Campus international student hall fill up or can you get a room there anytime of year? I am planning on getting a single place.

Thanks for your help.

I finished a semester at Zhongshan back in January, and I can highly recommend the program and most of the faculty there (and from the standpoint of learning Putonghua, I've heard that the overall level of the faculty is higher than that at Jinan).

What you heard about class times is not really accurate. The morning session runs from 8.50-12, and the afternoon session from 2.30 to 5 (with some elective classes such as Cantonese meeting at 1).

If you can avoid it, I strongly advise against working part-time in addition to your Chinese studies. I did this a year ago at Ningbo University in Zhejiang and did not progress as much as I could have had I devoted my time strictly to studying. Plus, Zhongshan seems to be pretty strict about their issuing visas (both F- and X-type) on the condition that students must not take employment while they study. However, I knew of some folks doing work on the side ('don't ask, don't tell' is the policy, I guess).

Since I lived off-campus, I can't be of much assistance as to on-campus living. But I can say that the Int'l Student dorms are very overpriced for what they are, considering that you can find a decent place right across from the South Gate for around 1600 RMB/month. I encourage you to explore off-campus options.

Internet connection speeds at the library seem decent enough, so I'm guessing it's the same elsewhere on campus. On that note, the one library policy that I truly despise is the fact that foreign students have to put down a 1000 RMB deposit for a library card (a library "reading permit" is free, however, and allows you to enter, study, and/or read books there)---I did not make that investment.

I hope all this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I will try and do the first semester without working and see how it goes financially. The ideal situation would be to work 5 hours a week to pay for my apartment and food, since I heard that you can make 150 - 200 rmb per hour teaching English part-time in Guangzhou.

Thanks for you reply -- it was very helpful.

• 1 month later...

hello haiku

actually I ve same problem with u !!

i don't know where is the best to study ? Jinan or Sun Yat-Sen ??

I was last spring in both university !!

in my 1st impression , the Jinan is better !!

but this is only emotions ,

maybe u tell us what u deiced ?

I decided to go with Zhongshan because they returned several of my emails promptly and their replies were helpful. On the other hand, when I e-mail Jinan to let them know I was coming to GZ to visit the school, they never even replied. So, I figure that Zhongshan would be more professional and would be more likely to help me if there were any problems while studying there.

atmartin50:

How did you find your off-campus housing at Zhongshan? Did you have to go early to look for it? What kind of place was it? Did you live by yourself or share the place with others?

yes... u r right

they answer faster than Jinan !!

but u know what i think know !!

i will go GZ, with traveler visa , then there i go to both of them , and diced there what the best for me ,

but question they can change my visa to student visa ( 1 year)???

Admin: This topic is now closed and all discussion should continue in this new Sun Yat-Sen University topic.