Chinese-Forums

duoyin zi galore

heifeng

So I was thinking we can list some duoyin zi here we have bumped into here...to start off, here are 2 that I ran into and misread today:oops: : I'm sure I'll have more to add as I think of them or embarrass myself

和huo2 to mix powder w/ water ie.和面: huo2mian4: to knead dough, but then there is

和huo4, to mix or blend(my dictionary example is 豆沙里~点儿糖)...so i guess makes sense kind of...it's blended in to the readbeen paste...hmmm

掉色: diao1shai3: to lose color, to fade

---question, do people usually say 掉色 or 脱色(tuo1se4)? In the stores I hear 脱色, but then again I always thought 掉色was pronounced se4, so maybe I never listened for it....

---question, do people usually say 掉色 or 脱色(tuo1se4)?

Yes, they do. Considering most people who speak Putonghua, no matter standard or not, they probably say tuo1se4 or diao4se4 than tuo1shai3 or diao3shai3. Because it is mainly in the North China that 色 is pronounced as 色儿 shair3 (一般是儿化的), such as 掉色儿, 什么色儿?, 不变色儿 etc. Besides, only when you indicate the dice, it is call 色子 shai3zi.

oh yeah, I almost forgot about that jiang4 pronuciation of 强! note to selve, qiang2,qiang3,and jiang4...whew...got it I think

Another good, commonly used one is 反省 fan3xing4 ...for some reason I keep seeing this work pop up in my recent reading materials...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

with respect to 给予 jǐyǔ, many Chinese say gěiyǔ, and the Wenlin dictionary says "see also gěiyǔ". I am not sure if Wenlin takes a descriptive or prescriptive approach: if the former, they might allow some things in the dictionary owing to usage even if theoretically wrong. Is the pronunciation gěiyǔ actually wrong?

Is the pronunciation gěiyǔ actually wrong?
My copy of 现代汉语词典 (published in 2002) has no listing for gěiyǔ. I also seem to recall some news article a while back about some TV presenter being criticised for using gěiyǔ instead of jǐyǔ. That being said, I often hear gěiyǔ being used in daily life, so it's not entirely accurate to say it's wrong, just that if you see it on a test, make sure you pronounce it jǐyǔ.

hmm, i was just at a store buying some clothes in the middle of henan. in a city a couple hours away from zhengzhou. the guy there kept saying something that sounded like they have this item in heishai, baishai, lanshai, etc.. i was just thinking to myself. (what an odd way to pronounce it) now i know why.

by the way, 色子 sounds like a certain word i know in german. :mrgreen: (sh)

• 3 weeks later...

ok, another moment passed today when I realized I have been wrong all along....

today's 多音字: 喝, either he1 or he4

and it all started with this sign on the back of volkswagons:mrgreen:

携手一汽-大众,为北京奥运喝彩,,,,