Chinese-Forums

Chinese RPG game

SeekerOfPeace

Hi again,

Do anyone know of a good quality Chinese RPG game.

Now before branding this as off topc let me explain why.

I learned my English through countless hours playing video games.

Not only that, of course, but that was certainly part of it.

I really enjoy translating the story and I find much more motivating to learn 汉字 when I find a use for it right away.

It certainly beats memorizing 汉字 one by one.

I'm guessing I'm learning close to 20 汉字 a day with this method.

I basically take a screen shot and then I paste it in word.

After that, I use my dictionary to identify each 汉字 individually (those I don't know).

I finally use my dictionary to translate what is being said.

Here's a sample to give you an idea:

Gameshot.jpg

I'm looking for free games using simplified Chinese if possible.

Please do provide some links if possible.

Thank you Quest for your help, it is appreciated.

I've tried one of those games and could understand a lot of things.

I think it must've been a demo because it was really, really short.

EDIT: How much are those games?

There are at least 10 games in those 2 series. It's like the Final Fantasy franchise. To get abandon ware, you would have to go all the way back to the 80s, and if you can bear with the graphics.. the game you posted is 风云1? I don't think that's abandonware either. Anyways, good luck hunting down those games.

Here's one which should be free to play SUN, and another. Other The9 games might be worth looking at - there's a bit of a shift at the moment towards making online games free to pay, but charging for equipment - and making it very easy to level up so that you end up needing higher level equipment as soon as possible.

I agree with Quest to an extent.

World of Warcraft, for example, isn't a very large text-based game. You wouldn't be reading a whole lot unless you're speaking with other in-game players through in-game methods (type chat).

However, many players of WoW do play together using various chat programs (team speak, ventrillo, etc.). If you're looking to improve your speaking and listening as well, and already have a decent level of Mandarin, then playing with a group (guild) of WoW players might be a good idea.

HI Seeker,

I have a good french friend who lives in Paris but likes to play WOW on chinese servers, one it helps her chinese and two it is cheaper than European or US servers.

They have a clan aswell I think, but I can't remember the website off hand. You can do a search. It is pretty cool.

have fun,

SimoN:)

Here's one which should be free to play SUN, and another.

Uh, the web site says #1) Register, #2) Download #3) Pay

Of course, that may just be for the newbies who can't read the Chinese....

I would also be interested in a good text based game (some graphics OK), but NOT an online one. I'm in China, and I don't mind purchasing something. Prefer logic or fun games, not combat. Any recommendations along those lines?

Yeah, I just came across them in a translation about online games - as I understand it it is possible to play without paying, you just get killed a lot because you haven't got a decent sword and set of level 74 Orcish armour. No guarantees.

First, I would like to thank you and express my gratitude for the multiple replies. I appreciate your willingness to help.

I'm not looking for something online, however, for reason other members have mentioned.

I've asked this question at a lot of places on the web and have googled numerous times, without any results.

It's fairly easy to find free, downloadable RPG games in English, I assumed it would be the same for Chinese games.

I think a link to a website which collects such games would be useful and helpful.

Either that or something to copy/paste in Baidu (or some other search engine) to get relevant results.

Thank you.

Hmmm... Interesting thread. I'm actually planning to start playing some games I bought in Chinese as soon as I can get a new PDA, for the purpose of helping my Chinese (Jagged Alliance Two, I think, and Civilization 3 are the only two that work on my laptop). I mostly bought them for that, and because they were disgustingly cheap (10RMB!). I'm fairly sure they're legit, so I guess they might be expensive compared to 水货 stuff.

I was actually hoping this might be about Pen and Paper RPGs in China(Chinese), but I guess not.

So I'm going to derail this thread and ask about P&P RPGs: Does anyone know if this concept exists in China? Are there any Chinese ones? For reference, I'm talking about stuff like D&D, Exalted, Vampire: the Reqiuem (and Masquerade, which has been discontinued), other games in that line, Shadowrun (NOT the video game), etc. See DriveThruRPG to purchase PDFs.

I'm curious. Also, does anyone else on these boards play P&P RPGs?

• 6 months later...

sorry to bring up this old post...

SeekerOfPeace is there any way i could get my hands on that 风云1天下会(1997) game u have? like i could download it somewhere? i played it 10yrs ago on my very first pc and is looking forward to playing it again...

about the inventory system its quite easy to understand i could help u out if i have the game...