Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Hi bedan,

barb_punk already replied to my private message. he/she told me to contact the CULTURAL SECTION {manila@culturalink.gov.cn} (the office that helped him/her too). Is this the office you are referring to? where the person in charge went back to china?

Thank you.

Weilan,

I guess, that's what people on this forum have been saying, but I haven't been able to get in contact with anyone at the embassy in DC to confirm.

About the notarizing, I still don't understand why it is necessary. The banks confirm nothing but a signature and don't even consider the relevance of the documents. I guess I will just write a statement expressing that the photocopy is real and sign it, but again whether it is real or not isn't their concern, its not what they do. So its basically me saying the photocopy is real, when I could in fact be lying, which accomplishes nothing on CSC's part but creating another headache for applicants, awesome.

My apologies, all - notification wasn't working, and I didn't know all this action was going on. Anyway, a few things:

evasiege,

It's becoming increasingly clear that notarization is different in little ways in every country/area. It's a little weird and maddening that this stuff isn't even domestically standardized. All CSC wants is a way to ensure that the more important documents of your application haven't been tampered with. I'll PM you the DC contact we have.

aristotle1990,

There has been a bit of discussion about changing schools - and we're pretty sure that it's impossible. CSC clearly states that they don't allow it, and none of us have heard of anyone else or have personally succeeded in changing schools once receiving the CSC scholarship.

cm202bc,

Interesting. I hope you remember to come back to tell us what happens. At any rate, I'll PM you the contact we have. If yours hasn't been turned on yet, roddy will forward it to you. Good luck. This will be very interesting to find out. Can you answer some of the other questions that are on the first post for new users? (The same ones Manny Fresh answered.)

Manny Fresh,

In addition to finding a place to get my physical exam done, I'm worried about getting my recommendations in on time, because they're coming in from all over the globe. Do you think I could ask my recommenders to sign and then fax their letters to my home in New York, and then stick the letters in envelopes there? It will be much faster than waiting for snail mail to arrive from Papua New Guinea, Beijing and Rio de Janeiro.

My work has mostly been involved with media, a lot of times writing as a journalist for Western news outlets. Does anyone know if this could be held against me, and would lead the CSC to reject my application? I'm concerned that they won't support a journalist coming to China to study for a year, in fear of writing about so-called sensitive subjects.

Normally, you'd assume that sending in recommendations would be okay for something like this... the only thing is that I'm not confident the CSC people are organized enough to figure it out if different pieces go in at different times. I would personally hold onto the application for as long as I can and hope that the recommenders send me their letters on time. But if it's not possible, ask that they send two signed copies to the same address and have all of them including your information clearly and consistently. You should also find someone who will be handling the applications and see if they can keep an eye out for you.

I doubt that CSC will reject for your journalism work. I used to do a lot of human rights activism and worked closely with certain organizations that should have marked me as a "sensitive" applicant. Clearly, CSC people don't do heavy background checks on people - I just don't think that they have the resources or the organization to pull it off. It seems like all they know is what you tell them through your application. If you want to downplay the fact that you're a journalist, I think it can be done very easily. Lay the China-love talk a little heavy on the personal statement, and I think you're good.

weilian, (this is from the PM you sent me)

My college registrar and professors are angels, being able to get their part of the application to me within the week. I've got someone in Beijing to guarantee my application. The sticking point is falling on the physical primarily due to time. Since the rest of the application isn't particularly difficult to set up would it be worth my time to try and go for it sans examination?

It really depends on where you are applying from and what that specific country's guidelines are. But if you are applying from the States, your application will not be considered without the Physical Exam. It only takes a few days - you should do it if you are very serious about trying to get to China through the CSC scholarship. Also, none of us are really sure about the deadlines.

eloper,

All you need is the transcript and diploma for your university. But if you haven't graduated yet, a transcript is suffice. They'll figure out that you don't have a diploma to send yet.

Hello everyone!

Great forum you have going here.

I'm 26, from just west of Toronto, and looking to study mandarin in China September 09. My 3 top choices are Ocean University, Dalian UST, Tsinghua.

Unfortunately I am having my patience tested daily and do not know if I am going to be able to continue the process. The trouble is getting information in Canada. The Toronto Consulate does not seem to pick up their phones or return emails (many of which say that the person has returned to China and will no longer be at the Consul(ate?)).

My second issue is the physical. I tried 3 clinics today. The first two wouldn't do it, the third wanted $400 and I would have to wait 3 weeks for the results. I'm not sure I even have 3 weeks, but this I can't be sure because I cannot find the appropriate deadlines. I saw that the person from Vancouver had a bit more help/luck. Any more Canadians, specifically from Ontario?

I understand that extrapages will be a guarantor which is great, and have found that notarized documents run $25 per document from the lawyers in the Oakville area. I don't mean to sound negative, but it's frustrating, I want this really bad, but have already put in probably close to 30 hours including work time (I hope they don't scan my net usage for the past week).

Any help for Ontario residents, dates, deadlines, where to get a medical within a week or so for preferably less than $400. I would very much appreciate it.

Qindao is my top choice for the location. I love the way it looks on Google Earth.

HELP PLEASE!!

Hi bedan,

barb_punk already replied to my private message. he/she told me to contact the CULTURAL SECTION {manila@culturalink.gov.cn} (the office that helped him/her too). Is this the office you are referring to? where the person in charge went back to china?

Thank you.

Salipot,

Yes. That is the same office which I contacted. By now, you must have been told also to apply through CHED.

Eric Canada,

I wish I could help, but I have no information that would help you. I wonder if anyone here does. If so, please post! I have the contact information for BC, but I don't know if you'd be interested in that or if they are willing to work with you?

I'm already in China, which is why I'm nervous about this 3-4 days proclamation. Going to an international hospital here to see if I can pay pay through the nose to speed up the process. Maybe this time delay will finally work in my favor... Yes, I am applying through the United States.

Has anyone applied for a Master's program rather than a language program?

Best,

Will

Has anyone applied for a Master's program rather than a language program?

I did. Although I applied for an English taught program, I checked the box which states if I need a one year of language training so that I can cope with daily conversations.

Greetings all,

I just had a quick question. I sent my application via next day service on Friday to the Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C. I was wondering if anyone knew who I could get in contact with in regards to whether they have received the info and have begun processing it. I confirmed through USPS that it was received at the embassy on Saturday.

Thanks again!

Good news!

Today I was contacted by a very polite gentleman in the Toronto Consulate. I have his contact information, extrapages, I'd be happy to share them with you in order to help others in the future. After travelling around to 6, yes no exaggeration, 6 different medical clinics, I found someone to do it for $100.00, signed, stamped, etc.

The person at the Consulate said that if I bring the package to him by the 15th, he can negotiate and make sure they will understand that the tests may take an extra few days. He seemed very happy to help.

The notarization is $25, I have to review the list on what needs to be notarized. I have originals of my transcripts so I will probably just include them. Reference letter from one Chinese co-worker, a former Chinese professor (I hope I can get a hold of her), and a manager I know for Habitat for Humanity will be completed by this weekend.

Wish me luck.

extrapages, would you please contact me for guarantor information, I would really appreciate it. I am more than happy to keep the board updated. Cheers!

ct32385,

I'll PM you the person we have in D.C.

---

Eric Canada,

That would be incredible! I'll add it to our list. Can you PM me the information you have? I'll send you my info when I get that. It would be nice if you could post up the information on the clinic publicly. Thanks!

Pretty much done with everything, however a few gripes.

In the future, I think people should make a more clear distinction between what the application actually asks for and what has worked for individuals. For instance, the application asks for only a photocopy of the physical exam, not a notarized version. The application also asks for notarized versions of your transcripts which means official transcripts, but as I've been told, unofficial transcripts are fine. The application also asks for a notarized copy of your diploma, but also have been told that a letter of intent to graduate works as well. Some of the information is really contradictory and makes things a little confusing. It's just extremely nail biting not knowing how anal they will be about these things. On the whole however, everything has been very helpful.

Evasiege,

You're right, it is nailbiting not knowing exactly what is required of us. The problem with saying exactly what the application requires however, is that even the application has some bad mistakes on it. What is official? The CSC website documents? They sometimes contradict or complicate what's written on the application. How about the university sites? They also sometimes say something contradictory to the CSC "official" info, such as deadlines for application. When we try to contact any "official" people in authority who would have a real answer, we usually get a hang-up or are directed to ask someone else who also doesn't know what they're talking about. It's precisely this lack of consolidation and professionalism that makes it necessary for us all to give some concrete examples of what has worked in our individual experience. (Funny, that's EXACTLY what life in China is like so this isn't bad preparation either :)

Anyway, you do make a good point about us specifying in our posts whether something is officially stated (whether in CSC documents or university documents), or whether it's our own experience. It'll save a lot of time and make things simpler. I will point out, however, that in spite of all the seemingly random posts that appear on this thread (you have to wade through for hours to put together the picture), it is STILL clearer than what CSC tells us on their website and documents. Thanks again for everyone's efforts.

Peace,

-Menyawga

evasiege,

Yes, I agree. But it's hard to do when I'm really the only person managing the thread. There are times when I get lucky and I get individuals like menyawga take initiative and answer questions and clarify issues... and you have to understand that this is something I do on my spare time just to help others get the scholarship. It's the best I can do. I don't have the time or the energy to make this as comprehensive and non-conflicting as you'd like to see it when I have a fulltime job, a dog to take care of, boys to juggle, drinks to drink, Chinese to try to learn, a life to live, etc. It would be greatly appreciated if you can post up and share the information you know and have learned instead of telling me that I'm not doing a good enough job for people like you who are applying now - considering the fact that I applied two years ago, and I'm just sticking around to try to help. I have no problem updating the first post with new information if you can take the time to make it presentable and concise.

---

menyawga,

Thank you for writing that post. I was actually pretty heated and decided not to write anything until I got over it, but your post made things a lot easier, and it took care of providing the main reason for why things are so... confusing when it comes to dealing with the scholarship. I owe you a drink.

---

As menyawga said, China is EXACTLY like this - except in real life for all areas of your life, not just a pending scholarship. It is extremely good practice and a way to gauge how well you can handle this kind of frustration.

extrapages,

I wasn't pointing fingers, just stating some observations. I know you could be doing 100 other things right now, so I do appreciate your contribution. I'm just really particular when it comes to details, especially when quite a bit is at stake. If something logical doesn't make sense, I'll end up questioning it until it does. Though I guess I've been trumped in this case. Here goes nothing...

BTW, I'm assuming they will just remove all the contents in DC, and send it in the their own packaging, or should I make an address to CSC somewhere?. :lol:

I emailed the DC embassy guy in charge of sending it all out to confirm they'd received my application. He said everything on my end is done. I didn't include any other mailing addresses, so just the DC embassy is fine.