Chinese-Forums

Searching in Characters

muyongshi

I keep trying to use characters for keywords in searches on the forums but ever time it comes up with no results. Is this something that the forum's don't allow or is this have to do with encoding and input methods?

It's really frustrating especially if a character is used in the topic line of the thread.

Actually there is an issue here. The default Vbulletin search indexes by words, and believes words to be separated by spaces. Chinese does not have spaces. See the problem?

Basically this means that searching 向你深深地鞠了一个躬 will turn up the above post, but turning up 深深 won't, as 深深 doesn't exist as a 'word'.

So if what you are searching for exists as a bit of separate Chinese text somewhere, you'll find it. If it exists in the middle of a chunk of Chinese text, it won't. You may well be better off using Google's site: operator in this case - ie search site:chinese-forums.com 虽然 will turn up all examples of 虽然 that Google has indexed.

Basically this means that searching 向你深深地鞠了一个躬 will turn up the above post, but turning up 深深 won't, as 深深 doesn't exist as a 'word'.
Actually now that you wrote that, you CAN search for 深深 and find this post. Anybody volunteering to continue the manual indexing?

Okay I think I got it now. It makes sense but that can make it hard so maybe google is going to become a new open page in my browser.

Are you using firefox? If so, then do the following.

Create a new bookmark (bookmarks->manage bookmarks)

Call it google search (or something like that)

set the address to: http://www.google.com/search?q=%s

set the keyword to: g

Now everytime you want to google something go to the location bar and type: g my search term

and it will do a google search for the text: my search term and then take you directly to the results page.

If you wanted to get even fancier, you could create yet another bookmark and call it something like Chinese forums search.

Set the address to: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Achinese-forums.com %s

Set the keyword to: cf

and then if you wanted to do a google search of chinese forums for the word 深深, just go to the location bar and type: cf 深深