Chinese-Forums

Guide for Formatting Wiki Articles in Chinese-Forums

muyongshi

When adding substantial amount of new material, it is recommended that you save it in a text file on your computer first, in case the website or your browser malfunctions.

[noparse]Texts within “[ ]”, such as [h2], , and , are vBulletin formatting codes.[/noparse] See FAQ for more details on the formatting codes available.

See NuWiki Syntax Guide for more Wiki structural formatting codes.

Use [noparse][h2], [h3], ..., [h7] heading format code for section headings, with [h2] being the biggest heading, [h7] being the smallest[/noparse]. Once you have four or more headings in an article, a table of content will automatically be displayed.

Section Title:

[noparse][h2]Title[/h2][/noparse]

Subsections Title:

[noparse][h3]Sub-Section Title[/h3][/noparse]

Main Content will use plain text and will not be separated from sub-section title unless it is a list.

If creating a list or points use bullets

[noparse][list][*]Point one

[*]point two
[/list][/noparse]

If the list contains a main content and sub-content the main content will be bolded and the sub-content will be placed in the next line italicized

[i]sub-content[/i]

[*]point two
[/list][/noparse]

Explanation on a point should be placed in a new line with no formatting:

[i]sub-content[/i]
Explanation or other information

[*]point two
[/list][/noparse]

Review your work, and take care that the spacing between sections are consistent.

If you would like to link to a discussion in the forums as a reference please add a footnote

[noparse][footnote]place text with link here[/footnote]
[/noparse]

Very good. Probably worth pointing out that this isn't compulsory - it's a guide, but if anyone wants to just type up stuff in any format that's still good - we can get one of our Wiki Editors to tidy it up later.

I knew there was a way but it has been 2 years since I last actively did html encoding. Need to refresh myself!

If we get to the point where we need them we can definitely use them...my main concern is uniformity and just the readability of it.

That's what I'm doing now and just playing around with it now. If the largest we use is h2 then it will be fine I think (h2 directly corresponds to ==) but now the problem is that it puts huge gaps in between the headings unless you put them on the same line which that just creates hassle. I guess it will have to do as it is the most convenient way to create these tables...

Well I should be able to make CSS changes on the back end to get it looking how we want. What changes do you reckon need to be made?

Can you tell me what the font sizes are preset to now from h1 down to h4 or h5.

Also if we could reduce the spacing in between each header that would be great.

A general rule in page layout (more familiar with that than HTML) is your H1 and H2 should have no larger than a 2 pt. reduction in size and then after that no more than a 1 pt reduction per header and usually by the time you get to H3 or H4 you are at a 12pt font

so

H1=16pt

h2=14pt

h3=13pt

h4=12pt

etc.

You usually will not get down to that many points and actually after h4 you may not reduce the font size just change style.

Of course Style changes work great in the h1-h4 as well...