Chinese-Forums

Youtube blocked?

Rincewind

Quoted from here:

The popular video-sharing site YouTube was blocked Thursday by China's authorities, a day after the Google-owned service opened a version in Taiwan.

So the issue might be that YouTube has started a Chinese language version, that is unregulated by the Mainland government. Plus, it's the Communist Party Congress this week, and funny things tend to happen with the Internet around these kind of occasions.

I'm guessing it will come back next week, I hope, I hope, because I've become a YouTube addict.

Does this usually happen? I really hate this, because 50% of my life depends on Youtube. I have gone on a holiday this week in Beijing and it JUST HAD TO be blocked whilst I was gone, and when I finally had loads of subscribers coming in.'

1 of my classmate predicted that it is to be banned forever?

I'm guessing it by next week...

and it's impossible to use any software for blocked website, the government is way too wary and clever.

I feel like crying..

Hmm, I've tried most of the following but it doesn't work for me.

I'm currently trying to download Gladder.

Yes, now that I've come to read carefully johnd reminded me that it was the communist party thing. I think that could be the most likely reason, however I don't know when it's over.

http://youtube.navi-gate.org/

However this website is better than nothing, at least I know how people are commenting and rating my videos, and the amount of views I get.

I've tried searching for a decent download for Gladder, but I can't seem to find it...can anyone please give me the direct link?

And I tried Torpark XeroBank program,I don;t understand the extract bit and it was quite confusing..it was 2.0.0.0.6a I think. It looks suspicious.

And can Gladder let you to upload videos to Youtube or not?

Thank you, sorry this is my third post but I'm desperate.

It's not suspicious at all. It is a compressed file (e.g a zip file) that is set up to be auto-extracting. That is to say, you don't need to have a copy of winzip to uncompress it.

Just select a folder on your computer, click ok, and away you go. When it first starts up, you might have to wait a few moments for it to connect to the Tor network, and then you can browse the internet as you would using a normal browser. Both uploading and downloading should work without any problems.

One thing to note however is that to view youtube videos you will need to install the flash plugin, which Xerobank will do automatically if you click on the "install missing plugins" button that will appear when you first visit a page with a youtube video on it.