Chinese-Forums

cctv learn chinese

beijingbooty

if any of you guys have access to satellite tv, subscribe to cctv4.

They have a neat little program on each day, called "kuai le zhonguo" hosted by the sexy little "Zhu Xun". It teaches standard beijing mandrain to westerners and is intermediate level. I find it is great to break the mundane textbook character repetition learning and go watch televison for a while, also learning. The only problem is the show has an English mandarin student guy called DANIU who is a bit of a knob, but hell, at least he is better than DA SHAN.

Dont ever ask me to watch DA SHAN do a xiangsheng routine.

Guest richardnjones

Hi

Does anyone know what time this is shown?

Da Shan teaching Chinese - uhmmm. I have students who speak better English than him. His new programme is awful - so many mistakes in the English how can I trust the Chinese?

Dont know about chinese time, but in New Zealand it screens at 8.15pm every day and that is broadcast live from china, so have a look in the phone book for the time difference between NZ and china and bingo !

Or, you can easily go to CCTV website and check out their schedules there.

• 4 months later...

that reminds me of the chinese learning series chen chong (joan chen) did at the very beginning of her acting career before she became famous. i remember her long braided hair and very young face.

one thing all expats in china can rally around is poking fun at da shan. nothing changes. haha, i love it.

Da Shan ("Is that a big mountain in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?") is bad enough, but how about that freak on Center Stage? What's the deal with his accent? Is he Irish? Does he just talk funny? And I really hate it when he turns his head, and you can see that he barely has any hair on it; it's just combed forward to provide an illusion of normalcy when he faces the camera. Every time his co-host speaks, I get the impression she's trying to convey the thought, "Don't blame me for sitting up here with this guy... he's a freak!" telepathically to the audience. She has that sort of look in her eye.

OK, that's mean -- BUT I CAN'T HOLD IT IN ANY MORE! :twisted:

i wonder why most foreigners dislike Da Shan so much. he become famous in china because his chinese speaking and comic dialogue(xiang sheng) quite good. and also i think he is the first foreigner who learned "xiang sheng" in china.

i thought he must have the same reputation in his hometown as he has in china before. but my friend who come from canada said he knew nothing about Da Shan before he came china.

i thought he must have the same reputation in his hometown as he has in china before. but my friend who come from canada said he knew nothing about Da Shan before he came china.

While people I know are impressed when they find out I can speak Chinese, knowing multiple languages doesn't quite get you celebrity status over here. It's ok though, we have plenty of worthless celebrities already without adding language geeks to the mix. 8)

Sorry if I'm out of line, Roddy! I don't know why that guy gets me so riled up. (Well, I do know, but it's probably not that interesting.) You can get rid of the post if you want to.

To answer Samantha: I think most Westerners don't like Da Shan because when he speaks, he seems to be showing off. We don't like show-offs in general. When he talks, it's not like he's really trying to communicate, he's just trying to show people how perfect his Mandarin is. I've seen people on other boards complain about some "Chinese for Foreigners" show he has -- they said he talks so fast on the show it's impossible to learn from him. It's like he's trying to display his prowess, not teach. I'd contrast that with Donald Holder's Chinese programs (Kindergarten Chinese & Afterschool Chinese), which go at a reasonable pace and teach useful stuff.

Although, I read that Da Shan did some suicide prevention ads in Beijing. That's pretty forward-thinking and socially conscious. So, maybe it's shallow of us to criticize him, but his attitude (that maybe we are guilty of just projecting onto him!) rubs people the wrong way.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if I'm out of line, Roddy! I don't know why that guy gets me so riled up.

Doesn't bother me personally - the guy's probably got a whole load of people telling him what to say and how to say it, and if you don't like his accent (which is odd - I'd guess Northern Ireland) there's always the off-button.

What I find strange is the why Chinese television believes that anything aimed at foreigners should have a foreigner in it. I'd much rather have a learning Chinese program presented by Chinese people with experience of teaching than Dashan.

Roddy

What I find strange is the why Chinese television believes that anything aimed at foreigners should have a foreigner in it.

They probably want foreigners to feel more comfortable watching their own people, especially if it's a language learning program. I know if I were to learn a brand new language, I would rather learn it from someone who speaks my native language and come from a similiar background (country) so we can relate better.

If the guy described above physically from Center Stage is who I think he is, he taught some classes at my previous school. He indeed hails from Ireland, but not Northern Ireland. The little I know of him is, he is an OK chap who got on well with his adult students. He told me once that his accent is actually less Irish than before. The Chinese tell me his Chinese is better than DaShan's. I don't know 'cause at the time I could hardly utter a word intelligibly.

Of course, I might be talking about a different person as I haven't seen Center Stage since before SARS.

• 3 weeks later...

They probably want foreigners to feel more comfortable watching their own people' date=' especially if it's a language learning program. I know if I were to learn a brand new language, I would rather learn it from someone who speaks my native language and come from a similiar background (country) so we can relate better.[/quote']

I totally agree with kulong here. Learning has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with methodology and results.

• 1 year later...